Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lick Granuloma

I have an almost 2 year old boy returned back to me from family who couldn't keep him. He has a quarter size lick granuloma. How should that be treated?

I think it's due to the fact that he was crated 12 hours a day! So glad he's home, a sweet boy. He'll go out to a service organization once he's finished with training force retriever. Hopefully in a month, is there something which will treat and cure within a month? Anyone tried Laser?

Lick Granuloma

Try Vetericy(spray), , I used it recently and liked it very much.

Re: Lick Granuloma

Had laser treatment done on my male, two treatments (within same week) and it was just about healed! Had two more treatments following week and it was completely healed over.

I had a male with this. Never licked until about 4 years old when he got in a fight with his son. Had some boo-boos on the front legs, not far up from the pasterns. We started with the usual attempts, ended up spending a fortune on not one but two laser surgeries. Each time we'd do aftercare and it would get to the virtually all clear point, hair all grown in, and then he would eventually start licking it again. I used everything going, bought children's socks and cut the feet out of them, so just the ribbing upper part remained, kept them on the area, with either velcro straps or just a "ring" of vet wrap upper and lower to keep it on, couldn't fully wrap with vet wrap as it really needed the air, to be able to breathe. This was a dog who spent very little time in a crate, was not bored, came to work with me most days, and this was not a case of stress, separation anxiety, being under-stimulated or unhappy in any way. Dog was extremely outgoing, everyone who knew him loved him and in his day, finished out 2 years in a row as the #2 Lab in Canada, (mid '90s).

Tried other foods, topicals, etc. Eventually came to find out that his half brother had it, and others in the pedigree. The whole situation was a real heartbreak. You might test for thyroid, the vets all suggested a link. In our case I never thought of the genetic component and attributed it to the fight/wounds, but after a while, I came to learn that it was clearly something that only got triggered by having the wounds but there was a predisposition. At least in this dog's case. I sincerely hope you have better luck dealing with this than I did.

I would find a vet with an Infrared Cold laser and spend a little money on it, it's usually around $25 a treatment but well worth it, it should only need 1-2 treatments. My dog had a bad one from an ice cut that he ended up licking and made a bad granuloma on his foot, went the whole route with steroids and antibiotics and foot bandages, my vet friend did one treatment on it, we wrapped it back up and the next day it was gone and I was able to run him in a hunt test. The only think I would add to the treatment afterwards it apply raw honey to the granuloma and rebandage it overnight.
I have my own laser now, just used it on a burn from an exhaust pipe on my husbands arm, it had blistered, today no pain and the blisters are gone and it's already healed remarkably in one day.