Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Puppy Diarrhea

I have a 4 month old puppy and she started showing diarrhea symptoms a few days ago. When she has a bowel movement it literally sprays out. She is still very playful and still eats all her food and she also drinks alot of water. Yesterday I fed her pumpkin and she got better so I put her back on puppy food today and she went right back to explosive diarrhea. Any ideas what this could be? How can it be that my puppy is still running around in the yard and playing and acting completely normal, but she's got a very runny tummy? We have a vet appointment this afternoon, but I am worried about her.

Re: Puppy Diarrhea

It could be a number of things - coccidia, giardhia (not unusual in spring as the ground thaws), ate something icky, etc... I would take a stool sample to the vet and see if they find anything. If the pumpkin helped, I would (after making sure there's nothing in the stool sample) rest the puppy's gut for at least 12 hours - I do 24 hours for an adult, but usually less for a puppy. Do not then put the puppy back on kibble, but feed a bland diet of cooked rice/chicken or boiled ground beef - more rice than meat. Small amounts at a time, including the pumpkin. If she tolerates that for at least a day, you can start adding SMALL amounts of kibble, gradually upping the kibble and decreasing the rice mixture - about a week to transition over.

Good luck, and definitely consult your vet.

Totally agree. However, don't be surprised if your vet doesn't find anything. I've had tests come back negative and there is still a problem. If the bland diet doesn't help I would still give the pup Alban and see if that doesn't do the trick.

anonbreeder
Totally agree. However, don't be surprised if your vet doesn't find anything. I've had tests come back negative and there is still a problem. If the bland diet doesn't help I would still give the pup Alban and see if that doesn't do the trick.
If the vet will give you Albon with nothing other than the runs. Make sure no one else in the house has been over-feeding puppy.

If pup is outside at all, it's most likely coccidia. Coccidia is in rabbit and bird poop and is prolific at this time of year. Pup can dehydrate quickly if left untreated. Get Ponazuril from vet (coccidia often does not show in stool test as it has to be at the right stage of infection to shed cells that show). You also can give horse Toltrazuril available horseprerace.com/toltrazuril/ Dosing is on this forum somewhere if you search for it. This is safe for pregnant bitches.

Liquid Albon is Dimethox which you can order online for the future see this for dosing. http://www.beaglesunlimited.com/beaglehealth_coccidiosis.htm I use this for puppies as we have lots of coccidia in rabbit waste on our large acreage.

I've found 90% of diarrhea here must be coccidia as it responds right away to either the toltrazuril or Dimethox.

If it doesn't respond right away, I give panacur which kills giardia, this is often in water and we have a pond and creek.

How do you feel about giving the 'Beagle' Mixture to a litter of 5 week old pups? I most certainly can see the savings. I don't need the high calorie part though - do you think mixing with something else would be fine? I would think so, sounds like I just need 5 ounces of any liquid to get the right dilution. I'm thinking liquid yogurt.

Annmarie
How do you feel about giving the 'Beagle' Mixture to a litter of 5 week old pups? I most certainly can see the savings. I don't need the high calorie part though - do you think mixing with something else would be fine? I would think so, sounds like I just need 5 ounces of any liquid to get the right dilution. I'm thinking liquid yogurt.

The main reason they mix with Dyne is it is bitter. I personally overdilute it in water and do give it to pups as young as 4 weeks. It works great. I like your liquid yogurt idea.

I use the Toltrazul also, but have had occasional vomiting with it, so now just use it mostly on pregnant bitches, if necessary. I've never had an issue with the DiMethox.