Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Kennel Cough in early pregnancy

My girl was bred a week ago. Today she and one of the other dogs came down with kennel cough. Are we in trouble?

Re: Kennel Cough in early pregnancy

I can't be the only person who ever had a girl come down with KC in the first trimester of her pregnancy. If you have gone through this, how did it turn out? Were the puppies OK or did some have birth defects?

This happened to one of my girls years ago. Result was no puppies. This is only bitch of mine that lives with me that I had a miss with. Was it the KC or ??? Who knows really.
I wish you the Best for a Healthy Litter.

worried
I can't be the only person who ever had a girl come down with KC in the first trimester of her pregnancy. If you have gone through this, how did it turn out? Were the puppies OK or did some have birth defects?

In my 30 years of breeding, nope can't say that I've ever had a bitch with KC during any stage of pregnancy. Sorry best of luck to you.

SHe might or might not catch kennel cough, but the puppies are safe. As soon as you don't give her any medication that is not safe for pregnant bitches it all be ok. If she gets congested, please check well what antibiotic she can use. Herpes virus associated with kennel cough will only affect the puppies in the last 3 weeks of pregnancy or the 3 weeks after birth.

I had a bitch years ago who got kennel cough in about the forth week of pregnancy. We did an ultrasound prior and saw beating hearts...a week later, after coming down with the viral kennel cough and coughing like crazy, she stopped acting pregnant. We re-did the ultrasound a week or two after that, and no puppies, only fluid.
I had heard of this happening with another breeder who had very similar circumstances. Don't know about one week pregnant, and I don't know if it was the virus (or bacteria---there are 11 different agents that cause "kennel cough") or the coughing that caused my bitch to reabsorb all the puppies, but reabsorb she did.
Talk to your vet about trying a cough suppressant, but in some cases, they can get complications if they cannot cough the fluid out of their lungs.
BTW, the next time I bred this bitch after that, she had 12 healthy puppies!

Thanks for the responses. None were my worst fear - a bunch of cleft palates or other malformations. I do feel a lot better. I will let you know how things turn out.

Robin
I had a bitch years ago who got kennel cough in about the forth week of pregnancy. We did an ultrasound prior and saw beating hearts...a week later, after coming down with the viral kennel cough and coughing like crazy, she stopped acting pregnant. We re-did the ultrasound a week or two after that, and no puppies, only fluid.
I had heard of this happening with another breeder who had very similar circumstances. Don't know about one week pregnant, and I don't know if it was the virus (or bacteria---there are 11 different agents that cause "kennel cough") or the coughing that caused my bitch to reabsorb all the puppies, but reabsorb she did.
Talk to your vet about trying a cough suppressant, but in some cases, they can get complications if they cannot cough the fluid out of their lungs.
BTW, the next time I bred this bitch after that, she had 12 healthy puppies!

There is no scientific evidence that supports this.
If your bitch reabsorbed the embryos, it was for another caused or because of secondary effects of medications or high fever.

Not saying it was scientific evidence....there is no research on kennel cough in pregnant bitches to my knowledge. A lot of what is known on pregnant bitches or in breeding situations comes from breeders. Yes it is anectodatal evidence, but in many cases, it's all we got!
I was merely passing on my experience (which was documented by ultrasounds), and the experience of another breeder who I related this experience to, and she had a similar experience.
How do you know it was from "another cause"? BTW, you mention high fever (she had none) and other medications (there were none---I am "Ms. Natural" when it comes to myself and my dogs, and I was a licensed veterinary tech in California for over 8 years!). I can think of no other cause, can you?
My experience and my gut tells me that the reason my bitch reabsorbed the litter was because of the kennel cough. As I stated in my post, it was either the virus itself that caused the body to reabsorb, or the coughing caused the reabsorbtion. There was no other reason for the reabsorbtion. In fact, I worked with a repro vet on this case, and the next breeding, she recommended doing progesterone levels on her, just in case THAT was the cause of reabsorbtion. Progesterone levels on that subsequent litter were normal, and as I stated, she had a litter of 12.

I would just like to suggest you be prepared to deal with herpes in your newborn pups.
Read up on the current treatment. The whelping area must be kept in the 90 degree range..Check out what drugs are effective.
I had this experience many years ago and unfortunately lost the whole litter (6).
Best of luck to you.

It's not always bad news. I had a girl that was 2 weeks into her pregnancy get a severe case of kennel cough and had to be put on antibiotics (safe for pregnancy of course), and ended up having a litter of normal healthy puppies and didn't have any with complications or issues of any type. It's not always doom and gloom and bad news! I hope that your girl and litter are just fine and I'm sure they will be!

Best of luck!

Implantation does not take place until 14-16 days, to my recollection, so early exposure to viruses may be a non-issue. It's after implantation, where the feti are trying to grab ahold of the uterine lining, where the coughing and the virus may affect them. You might just be okay. Best of luck with your girl's pregnancy.