Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Exceed dog food changes formula.

I don't post here usually, but thought I would pass along to those who may have missed it that Sam's club has changed the supplier and formula for their Exceed chicken & rice food. It has been such a popular food for Labs and I know many others who feed it. The shelf was bare two weeks ago when I went to get food. I asked if they had discontinued the food and was told they were just waiting for a new shipment. The local store called when it came in and said it was delayed because they had a new "supplier" of that food.

When I went to pick it up, I read the ingredients and instead of chicken being the first listed, now it is corn and SOYBEAN meal! The protein and fat is nearly the same analysis, but the ingredients are very different and the price is lower! I was literally out of food, so bought a bag to get by. My mother dog who is in the house with a new puppy was hit with diarrhea and vomiting for 3 days from the change. The person at Sam's Cub who made the decision to save a couple of bucks per bag should have been required to come and clean my kitchen repeatedly in order to rethink his options.

Re: Exceed dog food changes formula.

Darn I bought a bag of senior & a small bag of puppy 2 or 3 weeks ago to try. I guess I will look at the ingredients before buying it for the other dogs.

I have never seen Senior or small breed. A month ago they changed something on the Exceed in our Sam's but not the ingredients. I know their is alot of Sam's dog food now, but hope they don't change the Reg. Chicken and Rice.

We switched from Exceed when they switch the private label mfg from Purina to Mars a few years back. Noticed the quality was not the same and the dogs were not doing well on it. Given that Sams/Walmart are infamous for pricing products to the lowest bidder, I am not surprised they are again changing mfg. Their business model is not about quality... This truly is a get what you pay for instance.

It is a shame because we loved the original formula that was mfg by Purina and it was still very cost effective compared to the outrageous prices of Pro Plan.

You need to check the ingredients label on the current stock in your local club. The packaging is the same, but the ingredients are very different. I am now in a quandary about changing foods before I run out again.