Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Coat supplements after whelp

Always a bad feeling when you've got a bitch about to whelp and they start their (normal) spring shed. Now her pups are 4 wks old and she's really blowing! Any tried and true supplements out there to minimize the ugly bald time??? I have upped her fish oil supplement and have all mine on a kelp/green/flax mix. Just wondering if there were any other tricks. TIA. Anne

Re: Coat supplements after whelp

windycanyon
Always a bad feeling when you've got a bitch about to whelp and they start their (normal) spring shed. Now her pups are 4 wks old and she's really blowing! Any tried and true supplements out there to minimize the ugly bald time??? I have upped her fish oil supplement and have all mine on a kelp/green/flax mix. Just wondering if there were any other tricks. TIA. Anne

I don't think it matters what you try to give them, it is totally normal for a bitch that's had pups to go bald, just have to wait till it comes back, as for fish oil mine get 3 1000mg a day as a regular part of their diet, was told by the holistic vet this is how much they need.

I normally give everyone 2000mg (plus vit E) per day, but went to 3000mg w/ her. Interestingly enough, her 7 yo half sister who whelped 9 (C section required for last 4 where we lost 3) in Dec never shed a bit and is just now starting her normal spring shed.

Mostly it is about hormonal changes.

Find out the percentage of protein coming from animal sources in your dogs diet. If it is under 80 % a food change should be made. Pet food makers are going more and more to peas and legumes for protein.

Wild caught Sardines packed in Fresh water from the North Atlantic provide extra protein and fatty acids. Top any kibble with those for a pure treat and added nutritional experience.

My girls blow their coat around the time their puppies go home.

I've found no matter what I add or don't add, coat comes in even better most of the time within 4 months after whelping. Give her time and the fish oil if you want.

A good healthy diet and exercise is about all you can do. My biggest quirk is looking at a rat tail when it's normally beautifully wrapped.

Our recent year of weather hasn't helped with coat blows. I have it happening every 2 months.

Patience works better then anything else.

My bitch had puppies beginning of Dec, as expected went completely naked and about 2 weeks ago did a turnaround and it is now coming back in very quickly, she is also due to come into heat any minute. I think in a few more weeks she will be good enough to show again. I did not do anything different with supplements, like others said patience and hormones.

I feed a hard cooked egg/day prior to conception and during pregnancy. I never have a bald dog but a good shed starts around the time pups go home.

LOL, well patience never was a good virtue of mine if I thought there may be something I was missing. I'm going to TRY coconut oil as suggested elsewhere, along w/ getting back out on our offlead romps and swims in clean water. I'd still love to know why my one bitch never shed after whelp unless it was just timing (as in maybe she just got her coat in). She whelped Dec 10 and is just NOW starting to shed and it looks like a very normal one at that, nothing severe as I've seen postwhelp/weaning!

Try adding biotin supplement to the diet. works great for coat but not sure if it will counteract hormonal coat loss.

I have not used it in years but if I remember I gave 1000mcg daily.

I would not give it at breeding, during pregnancy or nursing unless you consult your vet.

Try it after pups are weaned.

I use Mirra-Coat powder. You can get a five-pound bag and dose according to the label for dogs. It is for horses and other animals, but works great to push the dead coat out and help bring in the new.

MWK

My repro vet told me the coat blowing is mostly hormone related. Not much you can do to stop it or get it over with sooner. And naturally some girls are worse than others

I never worry too much about the shed after weaning puppies, since it's part of the natural physical process, but I do always look forward to that gorgeous coat after that puppy shed. It's always so much better than any other time. :)

Glass half full
I never worry too much about the shed after weaning puppies, since it's part of the natural physical process, but I do always look forward to that gorgeous coat after that puppy shed. It's always so much better than any other time. :)

I love the way my girls coats come in after that huge coat blow after whelping. It's like starting all over again. Lush and beautiful double coat. I don't worry, I know what is coming in soon enough, not in time for Potomac with 1 girl but I knew that.

Rule of thumb, the girls look their worst when the families come to pick up their puppies at 8 to 9 weeks.

The weather isn't helping that hormonal blow. This is a first year I have wads of coat stuck all over my rear decking in all different colors. Serious professional power washing needed come real Spring to get rid of it. It is nasty looking and a broom does very little. Even around a heavy umbrella stand it makes a full ring 4 inches wide all the way around it, 3 inches deep. It's part of having Labradors and bad weather after whelping. Look what will come in within a couple of months.

MWK
I use Mirra-Coat powder. You can get a five-pound bag and dose according to the label for dogs. It is for horses and other animals, but works great to push the dead coat out and help bring in the new.

MWK
I've tried it 3 times for 6 months ea. time years ago without any success. A good multi vitamin, Vit C, fish oil and plain good food plus normal exercise will bring in coat just as fast.

There is no miracle cure. Wait and you'll see it when it's due in.