Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Not enough puppies

I had 1 litter, the last 2 were placed right before Westminster. All went home shortly after.

Then the phone calls and emails began in a massive amount. At least 150 phone calls and 100 emails for puppies, some didn't care color and sex. Some were quite specific.

I am still receiving calls galore. If you have a well bred litter, realize it and know you can pick and choose the very best of the best for your puppies.

I think Westminster was part of the Labrador desire beginning in Feb which is usually not a puppy month. Most families want a puppy in April or June I find so they don't have to walk them in the cold weather. Not the case. Everyone wants a Lab. 75% don't care about price or color. They want a nice Labbie puppy.

So be aware. I'm looking for more litters from reputable breeders to refer these families to and don't know where to look anymore. The litters I referred to are all spoken for. I hope I get a quick thanks for it but my main concern was sending these families to the right breeders. I told them not to jump in with both feet and what to be cautious of. Shoot me if I blew it for those mass producing puppies with parents without proper clearances, I don't care.

I will never be afraid to breed in the winter although it is a lot more work for me as I have no kennels and never will. My litter took over the not small home.

One thing to be cautious of. Some of the newer families put on a good show, they turn into jerks after they have their puppy. So screen carefully. There are enough to go around, choose the best and word your documents carefully.

I had to say something and I'm wondering if others are seeing the same on the East Coast?

Re: Not enough puppies

Where are you? I am not getting any where near that volume of calls.

I am in California and could have sold my current litter several times over. I am trying to refer to other breeders, but not many breeders have puppies right now.

Same here. I'm in California and getting quite a few inquiries for puppies and even older puppies/dogs, but it seems either people aren't breeding as much, or they aren't advertising their litters. I rarely see an ad in the local clubs' newsletters with litter announcements. So different than it used to be a few years ago...

Anon for this
I am in California and could have sold my current litter several times over. I am trying to refer to other breeders, but not many breeders have puppies right now.

NJ breeder
Where are you? I am not getting any where near that volume of calls.
New Jersey. Families are willing to travel for their puppies into other states. I feel sorry for the ones that have recently lost their Lab and are ready for a puppy but can't find a single, well bred litter.

Are you informing the prospective buyers that there are 2 Lab clubs in NJ with Breeder Referral Listings on their websites? There are pups listed on both those sites and reputable breeders still seeking good homes.

Here are the links for both of them
Jersey Skylands LRC http://www.jslrc.com/BreederReferral.htm
Mid-Jersey LRC http://www.mjlrc.org/listings.html

There is always enough people looking for lab pups to be picky. Quite true. I NEVER have enough puppies for the inquires I get. I'm east coast as well.

You can also send people to the AKC site to search breeders by state under the Breeder of Merit program. I do this often because at least these people have been judged by their peers and are putting their dogs out there and being accountable for what they are producing.

There are a few listings for litters on Pawcatucks website litter listing ,
www.prlrc.org

Laura Dedering - JSLRC Breeder Referral Chair
Are you informing the prospective buyers that there are 2 Lab clubs in NJ with Breeder Referral Listings on their websites? There are pups listed on both those sites and reputable breeders still seeking good homes.

Here are the links for both of them
Jersey Skylands LRC http://www.jslrc.com/BreederReferral.htm
Mid-Jersey LRC http://www.mjlrc.org/listings.html

Yes. Those are the first places I send them to. Certain listings are spoken for.