Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gay Tails

My long-time best friend and companion went to Rainbow Bridge about a year ago and so now I find myself in the market for a puppy for the first time in about 15 years.
I am noticing quite a few really high tails, which has me wondering: do they go down later as the puppy matures, or is what I see at 8 or 10 weeks what I should expect it to be?
Thank you for sharing your experience.

Re: Gay Tails

Most do but some do not. Research the pedigree and see what the tail carriage is in that line. I've seen some that look like husky tails at 6-8 weeks be perfect as an adult.

Thank you!

I think the standard calls for a 45% rise fine, 90%…no…in my experience they come down a bit.

I also notice some carry the tail gaily when free stacking, but on the move they carry it lower (straight out), or it goes up when they get excited

tailwagger
I think the standard calls for a 45% rise fine, 90%…no…in my experience they come down a bit.

I also notice some carry the tail gaily when free stacking, but on the move they carry it lower (straight out), or it goes up when they get excited

I really don't think the standard has a definition of what is correct and what isn't! It basically states that the tail may be carried gaily but should not curl over the back.

Puppy tails are hardly an indicator of how they will carry their tails as an adult. I have had and have seen some pretty scary puppy tails that go straight as an older pup/adult. I have seen beautiful puppy tails, usually on males, go up as they hit their adolescent stages and the hormones kick in. Sometimes these go down as the dog matures and other times they stay up. You really need to look into the lines, look at the parents and then make a decision. But in reality, a gay tail is just aesthetics and doesn't cause any health issues.