Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Crates

Dog crates come in different sizes and we buy the size that fits the dog. What I am confused about is the numbering system. A 300 size vs a 400 size for example. Is there a standard measurement for these ratings? I have googled this and there is a variance. Where is the standard for this system? Do all crates come from China? I am referring to open wire crates that fold flat. And what about the pans in the bottom; are they all plastic? Is there anywhere I can order a custom size? I always have to sacrifice one measurement for another to fit my vehicle. Thank you

Re: Crates

The number size used to be used by the Vari Kennels. I had some of the early ones from 30 years ago and they had a standard size. Nowadays it seems that everyone and their brother makes crates, mostly from China. There are now soft crates in addition to the hard plastic crates and then there are the folding wire crates and the metal fold downs as well as the old metal crates. I say use what works for you.

As for size, I've always used a 36" long crate whether it be folding, soft or hard. That is a good size for my Labs that tend to be on the smaller side of the standard. This is what used to be the 400 size Vari Kennel. I prefer the hard crates for travel as it is safer than a wire crate. Wire crates are good though if you live an area that is hot as they do provide better ventilation. So for me when I look at crates, I look at the length and usually the rest of the measurements follow closely to that of the old Vari Kennels. I usually travel in a Dodge Grand Caravan when hauling multiple dogs. I can fit 4-400 (36"L)comfortably inside.

Recently I tried to buy Varikennels as I have known them from 20 years ago. They no longer exist. Many versions of a hard kennel are produced by Petmate which bought a great many of the makers (e.g., Dogaloo, Varikennel, etc.). The hard crates come in somewhat different sizes than the original Varikennel, but this is not the major problem with these new hard kennels. They are made with recycled plastic and are much softer than previous kennels. Press on the ceiling and it buckles with very little presssure. Easily chewed also. Sigh. I hate it companies undermine the companies they buy.

Vari Kennels are now called Pet Mate Vari Kennels.

Any suggestions on a crate for a dog that tries to put her legs through the fence in her kennel run and dog yard to drags things on the other side to her and chewed a hole through her plastic crate.

AL
Any suggestions on a crate for a dog that tries to put her legs through the fence in her kennel run and dog yard to drags things on the other side to her and chewed a hole through her plastic crate.

The Central Metal flat folding bench crate is pricey but they seem to last. Therefore, I haven't bought a new one in a while. They may also still take groups ordering, with a discount, as they did a decade ago when I last ordered. The 36 inch bench crate is also SUV friendly, as it is narrow. Probably too small for the big boys for other than a short ride, but it is fine for correctly sized bitches. Friends have had these for over 20 years. They also have the ones that don't fold totally compact and flat, slightly wider.

I plan to go back to this brand. A Mid West Life Stages lasts about a year and even the SUV one doesn't inspire confidence in case of an accident. If the top opens, add a quick link to keep your escape artist in. The regular minifolds, with bigger spacing, do need a quick link, theoretically, but I have yet to have a dog open one in 30 years. Of course, now that I typed that, it will happen!

They also have the solid crates, which come bigger and smaller at Central Metal.
http://www.centralmetalproducts.com/product.php?productid=16187&cat=256&page=1

For the wire crates, if you have yellows, I recommend ordering the Stainless Steel pans. Wonderful! No rust, no breakage, and after a scrub, no staining.

If you ever run across a brand of crate on the used market called T.E. Scott, or 5T - run (do not walk) with your wallet and buy it (or multis if you find them). They have been out of business for some years now. They and wire crates and were made of heavy chrome plated steel that is virtually indestructible. I still have and use the first crate I ever bought, in 1985. About four years ago, someone who was getting out of dogs was selling three of them and I bought all three. They are in the back of the dog vehicle and they don't get moved in and out. The reason I say run to buy them - there are enough people who've been around for awhile who know what these are, that they won't be on the market more than a couple of days - if that.

have two 5Ts for sale currently. They're BIG - either 48 or 52 inches long and yes, chrome plated steel. Spring latch doors (one is bent but secure) and pans (again, one bent a bit but serviceable and intact). Were formerly used for Bloodhounds and spent years in my grooming shop. Not pretty, but very much secure (and heavy!). Fold down to be about 12" tall - suitcase style. Accommodated large dogs such as St. Bernards and Pyrs quite nicely. Also good for a 'day crate' for multiple small dogs. Asking $75 for both.

Hi where r u located

Hi where r u located

Do you know if central metal is still in business? Can't find a website that is active.

Re: Crates, Central Metal

I have not ordered from them in a few years. The site is centralmetalprducts.net and not dot com. The 800nmber fid not work yesterday but I have not yet tried the regular one in Indiana.

Re: Crates, Central Metal

I have not ordered from them in a few years. The site is centralmetalprducts.net and not dot com. The 800 number did not work yesterday but I have not yet tried the regular one in Indiana.

Hi I have newfs -can you tell me how wide your crates are?