Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Grand Champion, Bronze champion, then what??

Grand Champion, Bronze champion, then what?? I'm new to what is beyond "titling" your dog, and notice there are levels of grand champions, how does that play out? How far can you go?

Re: Grand Champion, Bronze champion, then what??

Platinum is currently the highest level....
https://www.akc.org/press_center/article.cfm?article_id=4392

Don't worry AKC will make another level to get your money so don't think you'll run out of titles to get for your dog

Long time breeder
Don't worry AKC will make another level to get your money so don't think you'll run out of titles to get for your dog

And how much do they get from every entry out of every show? A $3.50 recording fee? Yeah they're going to get rich by keep adding titles. Did you ever stop to think that those who heavily campaign dogs like to earn more titles? Naw too easy to bash the AKC over their get rich scheme on Grand Championship titles/levels.

Really?
Long time breeder

And how much do they get from every entry out of every show? A $3.50 recording fee? Yeah they're going to get rich by keep adding titles. Did you ever stop to think that those who heavily campaign dogs like to earn more titles? Naw too easy to bash the AKC over their get rich scheme on Grand Championship titles/levels.

It's a nice option to have further titles available to earn on dogs for those that want to pursue the breed ring further. Not everyone has an interest in the performance events.

It seems there are many breeders/exhibitors on here that feel the GCH is a waste of time and money. Certainly, everyone is entitled to their opinions. After hearing and reading fellow labrador people bash the GCH in conversations, FB and the varying forums, I get the impression that many of you feel that unless you get your points and finish your dog at a specialty your dog isn't really worthy of much at all. Not everyone has the ability to travel and enter only at specialty shows. Visitors of this forum, along with many others and FB, sure don't give much recognition to those announcing their accomplishments from the all-breed shows.

Handler1
Really?
Long time breeder

It's a nice option to have further titles available to earn on dogs for those that want to pursue the breed ring further. Not everyone has an interest in the performance events.

It seems there are many breeders/exhibitors on here that feel the GCH is a waste of time and money. Certainly, everyone is entitled to their opinions. After hearing and reading fellow labrador people bash the GCH in conversations, FB and the varying forums, I get the impression that many of you feel that unless you get your points and finish your dog at a specialty your dog isn't really worthy of much at all. Not everyone has the ability to travel and enter only at specialty shows. Visitors of this forum, along with many others and FB, sure don't give much recognition to those announcing their accomplishments from the all-breed shows.

I could give a darn about GCH titles, and yes specialty wins and wins under labrador judges at all breed shows count way more to me than a win from a all rounder judge as most all rounders don't know a good labrador from a hole in the ground.

I so agree with your statement! There are some nice dogs at all breed shows but many times it's the 'generic' dog or dog with a handler that gets put up. GCH obtained at a all breed show is pretty much meaningless - similar to a UKC title. If you want to go show your dog and have fun with your dog go ahead - but don't put a handler on your dog and then brag that you earned your GCH at a all breed show. You can get majors from adding all the dogs entered (dogs & bitches) and many times you get the 'select' because you're the only special entered.

another breeder
I so agree with your statement! There are some nice dogs at all breed shows but many times it's the 'generic' dog or dog with a handler that gets put up. GCH obtained at a all breed show is pretty much meaningless - similar to a UKC title. If you want to go show your dog and have fun with your dog go ahead - but don't put a handler on your dog and then brag that you earned your GCH at a all breed show. You can get majors from adding all the dogs entered (dogs & bitches) and many times you get the 'select' because you're the only special entered.

If you don't finish a dog at a specialty it is a "garbage" dog in they eyes of most on here.

JMHO- Just because a dog finished in the all-breed venue and not a specialty does not make his/her CH any less commendable. Is it cool that you have a dog that's finished with specialty wins? You bet- the sheer numbers defeated are much greater, but again, does it make the all breed champion any less worthy? There are all breed champions that I wouldn't own as well as specialty finished dogs that I also wouldn't, but for anyone to try and diminish the significance of the accomplishment is petty and reeks of jealousy. We all like different dogs regardless of whether they have a CH in front of their name.

To me, (and again, flame suit on) the GR CH and all of it's levels are cool but it's just not something I'm intent on pursuing. If it happens- awesome and to the folks out there going for the levels- more power to ya. It's hard enough to get away for a weekend here & there to get the championship- to find the time to do more is next to impossible!!

Over the years, I have seen comments that reflect this idea and I think it’s a pity some thinks this way. It’s close minded. Some of us can't readily show our dogs at specialties (in my case, I have to fly to them) and have no choice but all breeds if we want to do anything. I have seen good judging at all breeds, as well as poor, and the same at specialties.

One of my dogs has her GCH (I didn't pursue the title so much as it just happened along the way), acquired at all breeds, owner handled, and went on to get Select at a good size specialty, owner handled.

If you don't feel a GCH is worth anything, then don't show your CH. Personally, I enjoyed showing my dog to his GCH. I'm very proud of him and of the fact that he was owner-handled all the way to his CH and GCH. He earned his points at specialties, supported entries, and yes, even some all-breed shows. Last time I checked, a point is a point, no matter where it was earned.

Kate,

You probably have a generic dog then. :-) I'm saying that tongue in cheeck!!!!!!

You know....this whole dog thing is supposed to be fun too. Holy crow. Both sides....here and on the retriever forum are just extreme...time to train your dogs.

No wonder why the ARs are getting a foothold. We can't even play nice with each other.

Sheesh....

Sue Puff

Sue Puff
Kate,

You probably have a generic dog then. :-) I'm saying that tongue in cheeck!!!!!!

You know....this whole dog thing is supposed to be fun too. Holy crow. Both sides....here and on the retriever forum are just extreme...time to train your dogs.

No wonder why the ARs are getting a foothold. We can't even play nice with each other.

Sheesh....

Sue Puff

When did everyone place nice with everyone else Sue Puff? There wasn't terrible un-sportsman-like behavior at this years Pmac too? Come on, you know not everyone plays nice.

However, I don't see anything wrong with what Kate said. It's not the Kate you think it is or her opinion would have been 1/2 a page long. For all you know; poster kate could be 1 of your bf's or someone you want to show to down the pike.

I like Elizabeth Bowron's take on it. Jmho.

I didn't see anything wrong with Kates comment either. Thus the tongue in cheek! I don't know what Kate that was and it didn't matter. I was not meaning to be mean spirited. I think everyone needs to do their own thing and have fun. Who gives a damn about what others think about this as long as you are happy with what you do.

Reread Sue's answer. The problem with the written word is that you lose the nuances of the spoken word. I was not offended in the least. In fact, I agree with her. Too many who participate in dog-related activities waste far too much energy being negative. Life's too short people!

So far as I am concerned, the more opportunities the AKC offers the better. That does not mean I intend to try for all of them. And it certainly does not mean AKC awards are not good and worthwhile to those choosing to pursue them. Please try to learn to appreciate and enjoy the accomplishments of others.

I personally judge a dog by his or her bone structure, type, health, performance, etc. Titles catch my attention so having them is a good thing. Earning titles is fun for the exhibitors. But I don't judge dogs by titles and certainly would never judge a dog by which venue that title was earned.

The last sentence of the quote below is simply ignorant and reflects the lack of dog knowledge of many Labrador breeders and judges. Note that it doesn't say that the title is "garbage". The author wrote that the dog is "garbage". Judging the title is one thing but judging the dog??? I don't think it was semantics or just informal writing. It is a mindset that is detrimental to the breed.

We can have a discussion whether the type and bone structure of the dogs put up by the trendy breeder judges is correct. We can have a discussion about the type and bone structure of the dogs put up at all-breed shows is correct. We can make all the generalizations in the world if we want. But please, don't be making such strong comments if you don't have the knowledge to judge a dog for yourself and therefore have to rely on titles and the trendy practices of your clique. Middle school was many years ago for many of us...too many for some of us :)

any
another breeder

If you don't finish a dog at a specialty it is a "garbage" dog in they eyes of most on here.

Oh my, I'd never think that if a dog didn't win at specialties it was "less than" another…gosh…I think the dog that can go back and forth and be moderate enough to do well in both all breed and specialties is the unique dog all around.

And I know so many that just love to be out there doing stuff with their dog they are looking for the next "thing"…I guess that could be the next "level" of championships offered. I think its kind of cool. Keeps me looking for the next achievement…the next challenge…I love that!!