Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Kennel Cough from Potomac

This is for anyone who contracted Kennel Cough at Potomac, or at the shows a couple of weeks prior to Potomac-

If you brought your sick dog to the Veterinarian and they took sputum cultures, I am extremely interested in those culture results if you would please share them with me.

Thank you in advance!

Re: Kennel Cough from Potomac

Now you have made me very curious. Can you please say what this is all about? We did pick up KC, but it is over with. TIA

I was at a show the weekend before and heard/saw a dog coughing. I did not see/hear any at the Potomac. I had my dogs vaccinated with intranasal Boradatella about 10 days before the first show.

Dogs are fine.

two pups came home coughing but it went away in a couple days, none of the adults coughed.

Heck!! I came home coughing too, and still am!!!

A dog in the next ring was coughing badly. Mine had already been exposed a couple months earlier to this strain and were okay. They coughed for about a week in feb. And had been inoculated in November.

Cough less
A dog in the next ring was coughing badly. Mine had already been exposed a couple months earlier to this strain and were okay. They coughed for about a week in feb. And had been inoculated in November.

How do you know the "strain"?

There are a number of different strains. The widely used serum does not cover all the strains. My guys were all current on vaccinations, and the one who started coughing at a circuit this winter obviously picked up a different strain and brought it home where the others caught it. Even when exposed to coughing dogs at Potomac, they all stayed well. My common sense and the vet's expertise concluded that this was a strain that they had developed a resistance to due to their previous exposure,

I came home coughing too, but it wasn't your typical cough - it had something to do with some stupid letter....