Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Roundworms

Ok, I have been breeding and showing dogs for 33 years and this is the first time i've ever had roundworms or worms for that matter in my puppies, I am grossed out, could not believe how long those worms were that came out of the pups ewwww, vet treated them with pyrantel today and gave a dose of heartguard to be given in 2 weeks, my question is this, I have 10 other dogs here all are adults and now i'm worried they might get this too, what is the best dewormer to use on them and how many times do I need to give it to them to get rid of these worms on my property? I searched the web and seems it says sunlight will kill whats in the yard and that no sprays are effective in killing them. Any advise is much appreciated.

Re: Roundworms

I'd give Panacur to the adults for three days. Also pick up poop, I know sunlight is supposed to destroy the worms, but I'd make sure all poop is pickup up even if pups run a large acreage like mine do.

I'm by no means an expert, just what I'd do. All the best!

here
I'd give Panacur to the adults for three days. Also pick up poop, I know sunlight is supposed to destroy the worms, but I'd make sure all poop is pickup up even if pups run a large acreage like mine do.

I'm by no means an expert, just what I'd do. All the best!

Thank you for your answer, pups are only 6 weeks old so they are confined to a small area (big enough for them) in the yard and believe me when I say I have been picking those horrid things up as fast as they come out, it is so gross how long those worms are that are coming out of them, anyone know how long after deworming they are all supposed to be expelled from my precious pups? Hate to see those nasty things in them

Was it the first time you wormed them at 6 weeks? Mine get wormed for the first
time at 2 weeks. The 4 and 6 weeks. Only have seen very little worms, and rarely see them, since I worm them young. Mom gets wormed at the same time, each time. I use Nemex 2.

breeder
Was it the first time you wormed them at 6 weeks? Mine get wormed for the first
time at 2 weeks. The 4 and 6 weeks. Only have seen very little worms, and rarely see them, since I worm them young. Mom gets wormed at the same time, each time. I use Nemex 2.

Yes this was the first time they were wormed, as I said in all the years i've been breeding I have never had worms in my pups, I got the mom from other than my own breeding and I was shocked they came out positive for worms, there sure was a lot of those disgusting things that came out of them

If you've never wormed, you probably didn't know you had any worms. Almost all puppies, no matter how healthy, will get roundworms. Don't gross out, the ones you are seeing are dead. If you worm the puppies again in 2 weeks, you may see more but then they should be clear. You should see the puppies put weight on a little faster now and their coats should perk up quickly.

If they are in a separate area, no risk to your dogs if you're picking up after the pups. And roundworms don't stay in the soil like coccidia or hook worms or parvo. If mom is still with them, worm her when you do them. Pick up the poop, bag it and throw it in the garbage rather than tossing it in the woods. Wash your hands and if you have kids visiting who still put hands in their mouths, be careful, children can get them.

Good luck, it's normal, they'll be fine!!

Rescue mom
If you've never wormed, you probably didn't know you had any worms. Almost all puppies, no matter how healthy, will get roundworms. Don't gross out, the ones you are seeing are dead. If you worm the puppies again in 2 weeks, you may see more but then they should be clear. You should see the puppies put weight on a little faster now and their coats should perk up quickly.

If they are in a separate area, no risk to your dogs if you're picking up after the pups. And roundworms don't stay in the soil like coccidia or hook worms or parvo. If mom is still with them, worm her when you do them. Pick up the poop, bag it and throw it in the garbage rather than tossing it in the woods. Wash your hands and if you have kids visiting who still put hands in their mouths, be careful, children can get them.

Good luck, it's normal, they'll be fine!!

Thank you for your reply, Yes pups and mom are seperated from the other dogs and my yard is all gravel so hopefully if I steam it all in a couple of weeks I can be rid of them for good (praying), with every litter i've had I always have a stool check done and it has always been negative (no worms at all) so the motto is if it ain't broke don't fix it and i'd rather not give them poison if it's not needed....this has sure been a shocker for me and yes I was totally grossed out as i've never seen a worm so big come out of my babies as i've never seen a round worm before or others besides tapes for that matter

Oh and I do pick up after the pups when they go and it is placed in bags and not tossed in any woods

Guess what? Your puppies are probably really lucky to have had roundworms. Their immune systems were appropriately stressed and they probably will not have an allergy problem. . . Like so many of our dogs today. Knowing this I really try to hold out worming puppies but psychologically I can't get beyond 4 weeks.

Breeder
Guess what? Your puppies are probably really lucky to have had roundworms. Their immune systems were appropriately stressed and they probably will not have an allergy problem. . . Like so many of our dogs today. Knowing this I really try to hold out worming puppies but psychologically I can't get beyond 4 weeks.

Really? What makes their immune system better and not going to have allergies from having round worms? I'm really curious to know please, thank you

I am not sure how much scientific evidence there is yet but I do know that many allergy researchers are hypothesizing that since humans and our domestic animals have evolved with common parasites, our immune systems are not sure what to do if they don't have to fight them resulting in allergies. There are worms you don't want and worms that it is probably better that you do get. I hold off worming as long as I can but definitely do worm the pups at some point though.

Breeder

I taught immunology at the college level. There is indeed evidence that we (and our dogs) are more plagued with allergies because our environments are too clean when we are young. The balance within the immune system may need antigens to "practice" on. Parasitic worms in particular are fought by some of the cells and antibodies ( IgEs and eosinophils) that figure in true allergic reactions.

yes

I am not sure how much scientific evidence there is yet but I do know that many allergy researchers are hypothesizing that since humans and our domestic animals have evolved with common parasites, our immune systems are not sure what to do if they don't have to fight them resulting in allergies. There are worms you don't want and worms that it is probably better that you do get. I hold off worming as long as I can but definitely do worm the pups at some point though.

Breeder

IF the puppy has a hyperactive immune system it gives their immune systems something to do rather than target other harmless entities in their environment. If the puppy has a normal immune system the worms are of no benefit.

For those with a genetic predisposition toward allergies, does having to fight general parasites prior to the development of a hyperactive immune system increase the odds of having a normal immune system? My understanding is "yes" but again, I think this is more at the hypothesis level. Another poster seemed to think there was specific research supporting this hypothesis.

no
yes

Breeder

IF the puppy has a hyperactive immune system it gives their immune systems something to do rather than target other harmless entities in their environment. If the puppy has a normal immune system the worms are of no benefit.

yes
For those with a genetic predisposition toward allergies, does having to fight general parasites prior to the development of a hyperactive immune system increase the odds of having a normal immune system? My understanding is "yes" but again, I think this is more at the hypothesis level. Another poster seemed to think there was specific research supporting this hypothesis.

I'd guess NOT based on some of my friends' stories. I've heard of several pups w/ fairly bad cases of worms at 8 - 9 wks that ended up w/ significant allergies by age 1. Maybe there is some happy medium there, but I'm not one to chance it if at all possible.

Maybe some have such strong genetic predispositions to allergies that environmental influences don't matter much???

Happy medium/balance must also be an important part of it.

Cool discussion...thanks for sharing your experience.

windycanyon
yes

I'd guess NOT based on some of my friends' stories. I've heard of several pups w/ fairly bad cases of worms at 8 - 9 wks that ended up w/ significant allergies by age 1. Maybe there is some happy medium there, but I'm not one to chance it if at all possible.

windycanyon
yes

I believe everything is just a hypothesis at this time. My experience was the same as your friends stories. The most parasitic puppy that I had acquired was my only allergic dog (spayed). I've had a lot of discussions with my vet on this topic.

Many are under the wrong assumption that adult dogs who get their monthly Heartworm Pill are killing adult worms in the gut. The product only kills larve.

Labradors because they put anything and everything into their mouths can get worms of any type. Yes they get them from their mothers too.

Adult hunting dogs or those who are exposed to the environment need twice annual deworming with Fenbendazole/ Panacur even if signs of worms are not present. Otherwise you run the risk of an major worm infestation that can be deadly.

As far as allergies, worms actually can be the cause as they can ulcerated the lining of the gut and cause leaky gut syndrome that allows the immune system to see food as an invader.

Worm your dogs, it is not something good for their immune system . All worms eventually will go to the lungs if not treated. It can become a fatal disease if it gets that far along.

No one cares what you have to say Romeo Lover, you make no sense at all.... to all others thank you for the information, I guess we shall see with time what happens with these babies