Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
generic or moderate?

What is the difference between generic and moderate?

A properly constructed, well balanced Labrador with CORRECT type is not at all generic in my mind just because it is moderate (in any sense of the word). Labradors are supposed to be moderate!

To me a generic dog is one that has nothing terribly wrong but not much that is excellent. For example a generic dog, although pretty well balanced, usually lacks the excellent level of balance that most Lab breeders today can't see anyway. They are often being called generic for the wrong reasons. They are called generic because they are not extreme in any way. Lack of extremity does not it itself make a dog generic.

My point is that I see dogs being called generic when in fact they are excellent examples of Labradors but people don't have the eye to see the subtleties and are only focused on extreme characteristics which they can see. Therefore, the term generic is being used the wrong way.

Instead of focusing on whether the dog is "dripping" with coat, has "tremendous" bone/substance, has "phenomenal" rear angulation, maybe we should focus more on subtle balance.

Re: generic or moderate?

There is no correlation between generic and moderate. A Labrador with correct type will be moderate as this is a moderate breed. A generic dog has no specific breed type.

balance
What is the difference between generic and moderate?

A properly constructed, well balanced Labrador with CORRECT type is not at all generic in my mind just because it is moderate (in any sense of the word). Labradors are supposed to be moderate!

To me a generic dog is one that has nothing terribly wrong but not much that is excellent. For example a generic dog, although pretty well balanced, usually lacks the excellent level of balance that most Lab breeders today can't see anyway. They are often being called generic for the wrong reasons. They are called generic because they are not extreme in any way. Lack of extremity does not it itself make a dog generic.

My point is that I see dogs being called generic when in fact they are excellent examples of Labradors but people don't have the eye to see the subtleties and are only focused on extreme characteristics which they can see. Therefore, the term generic is being used the wrong way.

Instead of focusing on whether the dog is "dripping" with coat, has "tremendous" bone/substance, has "phenomenal" rear angulation, maybe we should focus more on subtle balance.

Too many including some judges don't take balance into consideration which includes the beautiful movement of a balanced dog. It's important. Who wants to see more in the front than the rear or the opposite? That's unbalanced!

Generic has nothing to do with it. The word is being beat up already.

I do find it amazing how many breeders with Hugely overdone dogs called the moderate dogs generic, simply because it doesn't fit in to their mold of ideal. There are alot of generic dogs in the ring and the breed (as with most breeds) but I find it sad that our breed is the laughing stock of the purebred dog world due to our "fatties on stumps" No they should not be weedy, lacking coat, type, head, etc, BUT they also should not look like a smaller version of a Newfoundland. No Labrador should Ever be described as dripping in coat or a massive block head, yet that's the other extreme. And I personally find it sad that the owners of those mini newfies are the first ones to call the rest of the dogs out there generic.... I think we should have strive to have a dog that could win at the all breed level, the specialty level, be successful in the field and the obedience ring and ALSO still be moderate and Sound long in to their senior years. Don't we owe it to the breed to ensure these things. There is a great divide in our breed and the "your dog sucks, no your dog sucks, no the lrc sucks, no the fci sucks" really does no good. Just MHO.

It's all about who is running the Specialty events. A true Labrador can't win because he is plain and bred to standard.

Only Gross exaggerations win at Specialty Shows today. Breeders who breed to the judges likes get victories. Those breeding to the LRC standard get laughed at.

It is very different in Europe. A Labrador bred to Standard is victorious.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY9SiMAKuUo

Pete, you've never been to a specialty here or any show in europe. Go away.

Romeo Lover
It's all about who is running the Specialty events. A true Labrador can't win because he is plain and bred to standard.

Only Gross exaggerations win at Specialty Shows today. Breeders who breed to the judges likes get victories. Those breeding to the LRC standard get laughed at.

It is very different in Europe. A Labrador bred to Standard is victorious.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY9SiMAKuUo

Could it possibly be that part of the reason is the difference in standards? I wonder if in your esteemed worldly knowledge of the breed if you could explain something to the rest of us ignorant souls?

Why is it that it is so necessary in the USA to have a standard that is so lengthy? Copying these Labrador Retriever breed standards into a Word document and doing a word count shows this:

The Kennel Club (U.K.) - 550 words
FCI - recognized by over 80 countries - 642 words
LRC (USA - recognized by not a solitary soul outside of the US, and many inside its borders - 2,053 words

Why the need for such verbosity when a dog as wonderful as Romeo can result from breeding to standards as simple as the U.K. or FCI versions?

get over yourself
Pete, you've never been to a specialty here or any show in europe. Go away.

That is what you think.. you really do not know me at all.

The reason Romeo is the best example of the breed today is simple.. He looks like a Labrador. he moves like an athlete. His breeder understands what a Labrador should be. he is Balanced beautifully and not exaggerated in any way.

Loch Mor Romeo is a Labrador for the Ages. To not like a dog as well put together and with a great personality only means one does not know the breed. There is no better Labrador today. In Europe or any other continent Romeo is a Classic Labrador. Everything about him fits.

[/quote]

That is what you think.. you really do not know me at all.

The reason Romeo is the best example of the breed today is simple.. He looks like a Labrador. he moves like an athlete. His breeder understands what a Labrador should be. he is Balanced beautifully and not exaggerated in any way.

Loch Mor Romeo is a Labrador for the Ages. To not like a dog as well put together and with a great personality only means one does not know the breed. There is no better Labrador today. In Europe or any other continent Romeo is a Classic Labrador. Everything about him fits.[/quote]

Sigh...yes Romeo is a nice Lab. I don't know where you live or who you are, but if you think there are no Labradors here in the US that are not the equal of or even better than Romeo, you are sadly mistaken.
Enough already!