Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pet puppy

I have a pet owner who just emailed me about her 7 month old puppy, limping after a strenuous day at pet care. She took pup to the Vet he prescribed an anti biotic and said the muscle in the injured rear leg in not as developed. He said if meds don't work bring back for x-rays.
Any thoughts on this, I have a few, but would like your input.
Thank you

Re: Pet puppy

Why a antibiotic? I would think crate rest, leash walking and glucosomine/MSM combo would be a better course of action. Also, no more 'day care' for a while!

yes antibiotic does not make sense at all.

Makes no sense. I would ask your vet why he gave antibiotics?

Sorry, anti-inflammatory.
After I heard from her. I suggested, crate rest, leash walk only until meds are finished. Then slowly let him get back to his former routine. And, he is a puppy his play/exercise should be monitored.
I have my doubts about this Vet.

I'd have them put pup on Glucosamine/chondroitin WITH MSM and Vitamin C asap. I've had so many similar issues over the years, all resolved with supplement. Last one was the biggest scare - vet said pup had OCD of hock and hip dysplasia and wanted to do extensive surgery right away. Pup stopped limping after a week of the supplement (probably due to the MSM) Michigan State University Vet school looked at x-rays as said "normal healthy pup". My vet then took xrays to send to OFA last week - vet thinks hips will rate excellent (prelim). Pups can tear and injure so easily - mine all now receive the supplement as a preventative. It could be pano, ligament tear, etc., etc. Supplement and crate rest for 2-3 weeks, most likely all will be well and pup will be fine.

Vets are going nuts about x-raying and surgery. I found two weeks ago as I boarded another one of mine that their pup had a limp for a week a year ago. They looked at the info I sent home and supplemented. Pup was fine after a week and still doing great. Their vet was talking surgery also without any x-ray proof and after only 1 week limp. The vets are going nuts - we need to educate our pup families to prevent pups from unneeded surgery and suffering.

http://www.swansonvitamins.com/swanson-premium-glucosamine-chondroitin-msm-orange-16-fl-oz-474-ml-liquid?SourceCode=INTL405&CAWELAID=129500238&mkwid=7IqApz0g&pcrid=49285704727&gclid=CMDF9MWsg74CFTMA7AodG0gAIQ

Thank you. I'll pass on your advice and hopefully all will be well.