Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Puppies with genetic problems - what do you do?

To all the ethical experienced breeders out there,

I have read somewhere and I am aware that even the most experienced breeders with the most cleared and certified dogs, somehow they will get to produce a dog or two with genetic defects.

Question is what do you do with these puppies? Do you take them back and give refund? Then what?

Re: Puppies with genetic problems - what do you do?

Dani Costes

I have read somewhere and I am aware that even the most experienced breeders with the most cleared and certified dogs, somehow they will get to produce a dog or two with genetic defects.

Question is what do you do with these puppies? Do you take them back and give refund? Then what?

Can you be more specific about what genetic defects, what you test for and the age of the puppy?

If there is no test, or there is and you decided not to do it; then I would think a younger pup would be your responsibility. If it's a problem that can be environmental or genetic, you have no control over the situation after the puppy leaves you. Also, do you have a contract and guarantee?

You'll get more help the more specific you are.

In my opinion. If you breed once a yr or fifty times a yr. And one of your puppies end up with an issue like hips and a buyer has extensive un foreseen vet bills. You should be responsible for the refund of that puppy. Without having to return the dog. If an owner is willing to luv that dog for the rest of its life. That's a blessing. But they shouldn't have to pay for that burden. I feel a seller has somewhat of a responsibility. That's part of it. Can't keep every cent and argue every point. Well, some do. Doesn't make it right though, and the argument, did they let the dog do this or do that is a load of crap. We ALL know some breeders travel many miles for that perfect x-ray reading. So lets not go there. Unless you wanna?? To me it's all about accountability.

I mean genetics defects like hip dysplasia.

If a pup you sold was tested positive to have this, would you take the pup back?

No problem with the refund as it is all money. I am more concerned with the responsibility.

Are breeders willing to take a genetically defective pup back, raise and take responsibility of her for the rest of her life?

Breeders should right?

Breeder B
Dani Costes

Can you be more specific about what genetic defects, what you test for and the age of the puppy?

If there is no test, or there is and you decided not to do it; then I would think a younger pup would be your responsibility. If it's a problem that can be environmental or genetic, you have no control over the situation after the puppy leaves you. Also, do you have a contract and guarantee?

You'll get more help the more specific you are.

Yes it is all about accountability.

And I feel that the most accountable person is the breeder.

That is why I think the most ethical thing a seller can do is offer a refund and puppy take back, if the new owner is willing to carry all the burden then the refund would be enough along with the guidance from the breeder.

Opinion
In my opinion. If you breed once a yr or fifty times a yr. And one of your puppies end up with an issue like hips and a buyer has extensive un foreseen vet bills. You should be responsible for the refund of that puppy. Without having to return the dog. If an owner is willing to luv that dog for the rest of its life. That's a blessing. But they shouldn't have to pay for that burden. I feel a seller has somewhat of a responsibility. That's part of it. Can't keep every cent and argue every point. Well, some do. Doesn't make it right though, and the argument, did they let the dog do this or do that is a load of crap. We ALL know some breeders travel many miles for that perfect x-ray reading. So lets not go there. Unless you wanna?? To me it's all about accountability.

You are awesome !!! It is so good to know that someone actually see's through to the bottom line. Which is not the $. It's all about the dog and accountability to those who brought this dog into the world. Wish there were more just like you.