Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Boycott?

I am also on the West Coast. I could be wrong, but I believe the only Labrador Club offering Hunt Tests each year is the Labrador Retriever Club of Southern California. They do 4 Junior, 4 Senior, and 2 Master tests, plus a Working Certificate Test on the Sunday, each year (April & October). There are very few "show dogs" running these tests. Some AKC CH's run the WC, but usually, that's the extent of it. This past Spring, there was definitely an increase in numbers at the Working Certificate Test. I hope that continues...

I'm not saying the show dogs have to run a Master level test, but it would be nice to see more of the dogs I see in the conformation ring at a Junior Hunt Test stake too.

Quoting: Too Bad
"I do volunteer - for my own club. I live in the West and am not going to help put something together for an event that is ALWAYS in another time zone for a club that does not support anything outside its own local interests. I am very active in my local club. I also volunteer at the LRC National when it is in my time zone and put in a lot of hours to do so even though I am not a member of the LRC. I have been to the Potomac and appreciate it for what it is, but other than really large entries and the opportunity to see dogs I would not normally get to see in person, it is no different than any other breed specialty. They all have their own unique styles and themes, but they are all locally focused. The Potomac is not a celebration of the versatility of this breed and for people like myself who actively evaluate our dogs for both conformation and work ethic, it is nice to have a venue where one can see the dogs in multiple venues. Pretty is as pretty does, so to speak.

While I do not like the way the LRC has handled a lot of things, I do appreciate having a club that holds the working side of this breed with high importance. Given that many of the local breed clubs are finding it less and less important (holding basic WC's but not hunt tests, eliminating obedience from specialties, and not offering anything in the way of tracking or agility or anything else), I would expect a parent club to maintain the focus.

I think it is fine for people to see the Potomac as their version of the National - I have no interest in telling people what to do. I find it unfortunate but a reality that many people in this breed have no interest in or understanding of function while a whole other faction has no interest in form. But for me and others interested in the whole breed standard, I picture a National similar to the way the Golden Club does it, celebrating form and function, rotating the location so everyone has a chance to participate and help, etc."

My granddaughter is getting married on Sat, 10/11 so not going to be able to come. Not that I would have anyway but because I understand The Keystone LRC is going to be putting their heart and soul into this show not to mention $$$$ I am recommending everyone who boycotts send your club the equivalent of the entry fee or a small donation after the show. Spread the word so next year no one will get stuck with this dinosaur.

I believe that the Labrador Retriever Club of Greater Boston still holds hunt tests.

I agree. I have been to the National multiple times as well as the Potomac and I have to say, I do enjoy the National more. But I do multiple events with my dogs (who have been recipents of the Dogs for All Reasons and participated in The Challenge) It's also hard for me to get back to the Potomac as often as I would like, but I am due again.

PSLRA is another club that puts on hunt tests too.

Winnebago and LRC Potomac both have hunt tests. Huron River Supports (and runs the JH snd SH stakes) of a test as well.

PSLRA offers 2 hunt tests each year for all 3 levels and there are show dogs (often including finished Champions) running in all 3 levels. PSLRA also offers a Show N Go (Obedience and Rally), 2 Agility Trials, 2 Obedience Trials, 2 Rally Trials, 2 Working Certificate tests, a Tracking Test, 2 Specialty Shows, a B Match (with Obedience and Rally) and training days every year. There are show dogs entered in all of these events. This is a very diverse, active club and an All Around Dog is central to its charter.

I think Rose City also offers a hunt test every July and a WC in the Spring.

There are not many clubs offering more than a specialty and a field event.

I do believe the National is the only club offering all of these events during their Specialty Week.