Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dodds - thyroid

Was planning to have a thyroid test for an older girl who eats like a bird but still is plump. Couple of people said to use Hemopet. Is it all that much better? Wouldn't the test my vet does be just as good?

Re: Dodds - thyroid

Hemopet is better. Dr. Dodds looks at breed, age, etc. when evaluating thyroid. If you decide to go with your regular vet, have it sent to the Univ. of Michigan rather than the local lab.
Good luck.

Thanks Pete. I think I will give it a try. The only downside seems to be it will take longer to get the results. But it also looks like you get better information.

Dodds is great and its cheaper. I pay my vet to do the blood draw and I ship to Dodds. Results are real quick. If you have questions after results, she is great on response to emails.

Jean Dodds is a saint. Not only has she collected data to support the evaluations she does but she also offers products that benefit breeders at a relatively low cost. She is incredibly responsive to questions. I use Hemopet as often as possible for testing.

I let our vet do the initial testing. Typically its about $40 and they can identify if there is an issue. Then based on severity, you can send out more blood for further tests. I have had 2 dogs tested and put on medication (for being plump and not eating a lot, and no other thyroid symptoms) and they came back low and it was adjusted with a pill.

Love Jean Dodds. Her thyroid test is more comprehensive than what the local vets do, and she is very respectful of your relationship with your vet, knows way more about thyroid than ANYBODY! I just have my vet do the blood for me and I mail it to Jean Dodds……...