Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dysplasia genetic testing

I saw a dog in Europe cleared for skeletal dysplasia clear N/N and found the research on the genes responsible.
This is exciting news if it works like PRA and EIC.
Here is the link to the study. I don't know where you get the test but I have asked a couple of people and will post it if I find it.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3065507/

Re: Dysplasia genetic testing

Are you talking about RD-OSD? Retinal Dysplasia- OculoSkeletal Dysplasia? If so, it is a test that has been offered by Optigen (and I think a few other laboratories?) just about a decade or so, I believe. Here is the information:

http://www.optigen.com/opt9_rdosd.html

If that's what it is I feel really stupid! I already test for that. I haven't heard back about this test because everyone is probably still laughing

Well, it would be great if there was a test.

Hip Dysplasia, Cornell, testing Re: Dysplasia genetic testing

Well don't feel stupid. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. The research was international. The article you cite is clearly about Hip Dysplasia genetic research done with the
"Objective

"To establish a predictive method using whole genome genotyping for early intervention in canine hip dysplasia (CHD) risk management, for the prevention of the progression of secondary osteoarthritis (OA), and for selective breeding."
Then it ended "Our study indicated that genomic prediction could be effective with the most influential 100-500 SNPs chosen from ~22,000SNPs. If genotyping of these SNPs with customized array, or sequencing whole genome becomes cost effective for public use, genomic prediction can become a vital and integral part of improving canine breeding practices for CHD and become a routine part of personalized canine genetic medicine."

It is not, however, a commercial test. It is too expensive to implement yet. The final edited form of the article is at the Website link below. I couldn't cut and paste the link that you had on my phone. This will make it easier for those on mobile devices to read the article.

Glad to hear that! I have not heard back from the kennel and think my mail could have gone into trash or she has the kennel in English done by someone else.

I copied the clearance and am pasting it here. This looks like there is a test but it could be for something entirely different. When I looked up skeletal dysplasia genotype it brought up many pages and I haven't read them all and I just put up the first page I read.

EIC : genotype N/N clear , HNPK : genotype N/N clear

Skeletal Dysplasia 2: genotype N/N clear

I think that the Skeletal Dysplasia 2 is a clearance offered by Pawprint Genetics. I remember reading about it. It differs from the RD/OSD test done by Optigen in that this gene causes skeletal dysplasia with never any eye problems; it is a different gene.

The tests never end: except for the first thing we all started testing for, HD.

Dwarfism, was Hip Dysplasia, Cornell, testing Re: Dysplasia genetic testing

I have added a link to the Pawprint test at Website; I didn't find the European one yet.

Note that the mode of inheritance is Autosomal Recessive with Incomplete Penetrance. Different!

Swiss link on Skeletal Dysplasia 2, Dwarfism

See Website link below. Note photo. Food for thought.

Re: Swiss link on Skeletal Dysplasia 2, Dwarfism

Great topic for discussion! A Cocker breeder friend of mine posted a link to research that found the canine hip dysplasia gene in German Sheperds! I posted in to a breeder forum on Facebook earlier in the summer. Lengthy research article when you read the links. Not going to say I understand in all 100% but amazing research information!! Based on this research, if our breed club would donate to research to identify if the same gene is identifiable in Labradors would be very interesting and incredibly useful in developing a healthier breed.

Here is the Link:http://idw-online.de/de/news586117#
Maybe we could sticky this to the top so everyone would read it?
Drew

I stumbled upon a blog a few weeks ago (dated January 2013), and it mentions: "Armed with this massive amount of data, researchers at the Department of Animal Science, China Agricultural University,Beijing, China developed an algorithm that accurately predicts CHD from genomic data."

Canine Hip Dysplasia Can Now Be Predicted At Birth By DNA
http://themodernbark.blogspot.com/2013/01/canine-hip-dysplasia-can-now-be.html

Does anyone know the time it took to actually get the test out to the public for EIC and PRA after research?

For EIC: Studies and sampling/pedigree analysis began in the late 1990's/early 2000's; the gene was found in July 2007 and test came out to the public in the fall of 2008.