Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Michigan Repro Vets

I had 2 bitches bred in February of 2014. One was a maiden bitch of 2 1/2 year old. The other 4 years old, has had one litter of 6 in 2012. Progesterones were just over 5, bred side by side AI the day they got over 5, skipped a day bred again. No puppies. Had another bitch bred in August, same scenario, had only 1 puppy which died, we spayed her since she only produced one dead pup via c-section a few years ago. All thyroids checked in the summer, all OK but somewhat low then.

Same bitches which were bred in February, were bred again in October/early November, one bred just when progesterone was 4.98 and then 2 days later, other bred 2 days after hit 5.2 and then two days after that; because I was beginning to think we were breeding too early and the stud owner (more experienced) thought so also. We x-rayed both bitches on Friday, Dec. 26, no puppies. So now vet rechecked thyroids, .7 and .9, says thyroid was too low. Put both bitches on thyroxine. Went into same office (Carpenter) for another dog, saw Sarah Schull, she said the bitches' issues has to be more than thyroid, I should put them on Amoxicillin which I have and then doxy for the month before expected heat.

One of the stud owners really recommend we go to see Schultz in Okemos, that the bitches should have more of a workup, Schultz is excellent and Carpenter's office is just guessing. I respect the stud owner and really felt they are trying to help.

So those who've used one or both of these vets, what is your opinion? I'm kicking myself that we didn't try antibiotics after the first 2 misses from the February breedings, but Carpenters' (father or son) didn't recommend this. I'm thinking Mycoplasma issues?

Have others had experience with Schultz in Okemos? It would be 1 1/2 hour drive for me, but would be worth it if he'd help. I know the Carpenters don't get along well with him, but do not know why. I don't want to bad mouth anyone but don't want to continue along this route either. 5 breedings in 2014 with not one pup to show for it! Helpful advice appreciated.

Re: Michigan Repro Vets

Schultz is where you want to go for repro work in michigan... I'm lucky enough to be 15-20min away and can't say enough good things about him.

I have seen both of these clinics. I have had bitches miss with both. Sometimes its the bitches and no matter who you see or what you try, you get the same results.
As far as them not getting along... Both of those groups have HUGE egos. Lol

I usually go to Schultz for my repro stuff. He's about an hour from me. I had Dr. Schull do my OFAs, but she's too far away for me to use her for repro.

I don't live in MI but when I drove 6 hours to a 12 year old stud dog I went to Schultz for a TCI. Can't say enough good about him. He came in on a Saturday for someone he's never met and I had a beautiful litter. Based on your progesterone you are breeding early. You need to test past 5.0 to make sure they spike (yes they can and do stall even at 5) and breed days 2 & 4 post ovulation or 3 & 5 post ovulation. Not breed day 5.0 and again 48 hours later. Good luck in the future!