Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The genetics of ectopic ureters in Labrador Retrievers

UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine is investigating the genetics of ectopic ureters in Labs. They are collecting samples from cases and family members. (Affected dogs and parents and siblings of affected dogs) They need EDTA preserved blood from affected dogs along with full medical records to confirm the diagnosis.

They are looking for a five-generation pedigree and Vet records that state that the dog was diagnosed with ectopic ureter.

Because the weather is cooler, you can get away with shipping without ice or with 2-3 day shipping.

I have copies of their forms they require, or you can contact them directly at:

Bannasch Laboratory: Attn: Miriam Aguilar miraguilar@ucdavis.edu - head of project

Danika Bannasch

This is an opportunity to participate in important research if you can.

Susan

Re: The genetics of ectopic ureters - Flyer- Please Cross Post

Re: The genetics of ectopic ureters in Labrador Retrievers

I've produced 5 cases of ectopic ureters in a very small breeding program with 5 different outcrossed dogs. It's a more serious problem than I ever thought. Please support this important work!

Susan

Susan @ Weymouth
UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine is investigating the genetics of ectopic ureters in Labs. They are collecting samples from cases and family members. (Affected dogs and parents and siblings of affected dogs) They need EDTA preserved blood from affected dogs along with full medical records to confirm the diagnosis.

They are looking for a five-generation pedigree and Vet records that state that the dog was diagnosed with ectopic ureter.

Because the weather is cooler, you can get away with shipping without ice or with 2-3 day shipping.

I have copies of their forms they require, or you can contact them directly at:

Bannasch Laboratory: Attn: Miriam Aguilar miraguilar@ucdavis.edu - head of project

Danika Bannasch

This is an opportunity to participate in important research if you can.

Susan

Correct diagnosis is a serious issue. In my last litter I had a young bitch who had frequent UTIs that only partially responded to antibiotics.

With that history, the very experienced vet doing the ultrasound thought she saw an ectopic ureter. But we decided to culture the urine and found that she had a bug not responsive to the drugs we were giving her.

Changed antibiotics. A year later. No further UTIs or problems of any sort. Obviously not an ectopic ureter.

Diagnosis is a serious issue.

Kate Fulkerson, PhD
Correct diagnosis is a serious issue. In my last litter I had a young bitch who had frequent UTIs that only partially responded to antibiotics.

With that history, the very experienced vet doing the ultrasound thought she saw an ectopic ureter. But we decided to culture the urine and found that she had a bug not responsive to the drugs we were giving her.

Changed antibiotics. A year later. No further UTIs or problems of any sort. Obviously not an ectopic ureter.

Diagnosis is a serious issue.

Glad you had a good outcome. All mine except one were pretty obvious. I have a great surgeon in Pennsylvania who was able to laser most of them, and they are all fine pets. One presented as a UTI initially, but later needed to be lasered. All have been females. Sharing my story is a bit uncomfortable, since I'm airing my laundry in public, but I just wanted to share info and support research.

Susan, I admire you sharing your troubles with ectopic ureter. I was really upset when there was any possibility of an ectopic ureter in my young girl. I had to wait a week while the urine was cultured and then another couple weeks before we were relatively sure she had an infection rather than an ectopic ureter.

I am thrilled to know that laser helped your girls. The alternative of untreatable is fairly disastrous. I had to live with the possibility of ectopic ureter long enough to research outcomes and pray.

Are we sure ectopic ureter is a genetically transmitted problem? Kate

Kate Fulkerson, PhD
Susan, I admire you sharing your troubles with ectopic ureter. I was really upset when there was any possibility of an ectopic ureter in my young girl. I had to wait a week while the urine was cultured and then another couple weeks before we were relatively sure she had an infection rather than an ectopic ureter.

I am thrilled to know that laser helped your girls. The alternative of untreatable is fairly disastrous. I had to live with the possibility of ectopic ureter long enough to research outcomes and pray.

Are we sure ectopic ureter is a genetically transmitted problem? Kate

well, again, i produced 5 in a small breeding program……maybe it's something else, but IMO, there is a genetic component. Hence, let the researchers research...

Re: The genetics of ectopic ureters - Flyer- Please Cross Post

Just thought I'd share that in one litter produced two years ago, and now two of our fall litters by the same sire we produced four total dogs that we know of with ectopic ureters. All males. Go figure that one out! Even our surgeon and radiologist want to know how we got four within two years, all males.

One breeding was a line breeding. One litter was a loose line breeding. The third litter was an outcross.

In the two year old litter of six puppies, I had no clue about the condition or that this puppy was affected. His owners reported leaking urine and stepped up and chased for an answer once they realized it was not normal. He had surgery just before his second birthday and he's fine now.

The other three puppies we caught before we sold them: Two puppies from each fall litter were surgically corrected a week ago at the age of four months. One puppy had surgery almost two months ago. He seemed to leak constantly and his bedding was soaked every time he napped so we got right on him and had him corrected. The other two were not as apparent since they didn't leak while they were awake. They only seemed to leak when they were resting or in deep sleep.

All of our puppies were diagnosed by a board certified radiologist, who interestingly had a cat with the condition. She knew right away what she had to look for. I don't know how the two year old dog was diagnosed or what surgery was performed.

One puppy that had the surgery a week ago was pretty messed up. His bladder was twisted and one tube was wrapped so tight around one kidney that we all feared kidney damage. He will have another ultrasound after his staples come out. I can't say for sure he's dry yet but I have hopes.

The puppy from the line bred litter was in the same condition as the puppy who is two months post-surgery. One week post surgery and he's dry.

The three pups all had bi-lateral ectopic ureters. Our surgeon told us that each surgery was quite involved and very interesting, especially for his students. We took the pups to a teaching hospital which we're lucky to have local to us. The surgeon is also interested in following any of the research, so I'll pass on the information Sue provided to this doctor. He is a proud owner of a very nice Labrador Retriever.

We told the sire's owner and hope he's been removed from the breeding program. We have retired all three of our girls.

Thank you to Sue for posting this initially. We are in the process of pulling blood from all the dogs involved, and the new families of our girls are cooperating by supplying samples as well. I can only hope the owner of the sire involved has done the same.

This is a very expensive surgery, the recovery for the dogs isn't fun, and nobody wants a leaky dog.

Robin
grampianlabs@comcast.net

if you haven't already, you should share this on facebook