Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Vaginal Stricture

We did a natural breed yesterday with a maiden 4 year old female. They locked up about 4 minutes with a lot of screaming. She is still flagging but screams when the male touches her and the male seems now afraid of her and it's his first time.

I checked her and she is very tight inside and with the contractions can only get my finger in about 1 inch. I have done AI before and have checked even maiden girls before and they are wide open.

She has only had one heat a year.

Could this be a stricture? Could she have been flagging for the male and not readyI was going to take her to the Vet in the morning to check but you all have so much experience. TIA!

Re: Vaginal Stricture

My girls go in for pre breeding health workups, and digital exams. One of the girls had a stricture, that we waitied until she was in season to fix, when she came in, she had to be anesthetized to access the entire thing, and ligate it. We bred her successfully the next heat, and she whelped her litter naturally with no complications. As long as you know it is there, and have it removed before whelping it shouldn't be a problem. Now that she has been bred it might be more difficult to deal with because i would not put a girl under anesthesia while in whelp.