Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Female infertility

I have 3 females who haven't taken with their last breedings, one has had 2 missed breedings over the past 2 years. The one male I own still has great semen, he's never bred naturally. We are going to a repro vet and now using antibiotics. Thyroids are low but normal, so we are supplementing that also. Anyone every have a whole group of females not take?

We do get quite a few dogs in for boarding, I'm wondering if they caught something from them?

Anyone with similar experience, I'd love to hear your treatments and outcomes!

Re: Female infertility

I want to clarify - 3 misses with each of my 3 females using different males for each female. Brucellosis negative on all females.

Check your environment for radon and black mold.

I was recently speaking to someone about this very subject, not so much no litters but small litters, gone it seems are the days of 10 or 12 pups to now when 6 is a good litter for my girls. The one comment from her was watch the omega's 3/6 and 9's in their diet, but before I could ask her how much is too much and which I should watch out for she had to go into the ring and I never got a chance to catch up with her. It is an interesting thought, many years ago when I first started out we didn't give any of the supplements we give now and I was getting big litters with no troubles, now I get small litters still with no trouble but it did give me something to think about !

Does the food you're using have flaxseed and peas/pea protein? These ingredients contain phytoestrogens, and are being used more and more frequently by dog food manufacturers. Not all dogs are sensitive to these ingredients, but many breeders are finding that their fertility issues resolve once their girls are fed kibbles that do not contain them.

Have you checked for mycoplasm? Also a regular 'repro' culture which checks for other bacteria such as staph, e-coli, etc.