Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Expired Vaccinations

I have some vaccines that I was planning to use (Vanguard 5 L4). I just realized that they expired in December/2014. Does anyone know if it would be okay to still use them. I have been told by pharmacists that human medication can be used a year past its expiration, but didn't want to take the chance with vaccines without knowing if others have tried it. Its the puppies 8 week first vaccination. I would be using them in the next day or two. Thanks.

Re: Expired Vaccinations

NO! Anaphylactic shock is a real concern. I worked for Pfizer/Zoetis and can tell you that with confidence. Expiration dates mean something and not just in vaccines.

Re: Expired Vaccinations

I agree with Sue. Also, be on the lookout for neuro problems after a vaccine. I never knew that distemper vaccines can cause neurological problems. One of my older dogs (9 years) had the same Vanguard Plus 5 vaccine that the others did on January 2, on their 3 year schedule, and she started showing neuro symptoms about a week later.

She's been on one round of steroids and is now doing homeopathic. She's slightly better, but is having a really bad day today. I doubt she'll ever be 100% again, but she's not in pain so we'll face it one day at a time.

Since going through this with my dog, I've heard of 2 people who have had the same symptoms with the Vanguard Plus 5 that I did. I've always used Vanguard and have never had issues, but right now I'm scared to death to vaccine the litter of puppies I have.