Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Using a stud dog overseas

I am interested in breeding to a stud dog in Finland,but I have no idea what the process would be. Can someone who has bred to a European stud dog offer any advice? Is it cost prohibitive? Can you ship fresh chilled semen that distance or would it need to be frozen? Are there import considerations? Is there a particular extender supplier I should talk to?

Thanks so much!

Re: Using a stud dog overseas

But I don't live in the US, our country has quite restrictive import rules however the only test we must have done is a Brucella Canis test 3 to 6 weeks after collection, so wouldn't think the USA would be too hard to bring semen into, cost to us was around $2700 US including stud fee plus of course insemination of the bitch. I would always go with frozen semen, too many things can go wrong with fresh chilled, would be nothing worse than having your girl ready to inseminate and the shipment got lost or stopped at the border much less stressful if you get frozen in at a time that suits you. The one thing I cannot stress enough is get a semen report and don't have the semen shipped until you get that report or you may end up like us with really really bad semen no pups and the stud dog owner not wanting to know. Lesson learnt

Re: Using a stud dog overseas

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I appreciate the advice.