Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
30/20 Food for Building Muscle Mass

What are your thoughts on feeding a 30/20 food to an 11-year-old Lab specifically to build or at least maintain muscle mass? My retired service dog is arthritic but does quite well on Previcox and MSM with alternating doses of Dasuquin and Phycox and lots of fish oil. However, recently I've found that he's losing muscle mass in his hindquarters.

Provided that his kidneys can handle the protein, (I'm having blood work done tomorrow) might ProPlan 30/20 slow the muscle loss? I do realize that 20% fat would likely be high for a relatively inactive dog, especially during the winter. If not ProPlan Performance, what do you recommend?

Thanks-

Re: 30/20 Food for Building Muscle Mass

My seniors have always been on Pro Plan Performance, now called 30/20. This is what I feed all my dogs and I never switch to a different food when they get older. I just adjust the amount for less activity. They do very well on it. Pro Plan 30/20 is also very low in carbs, only 30% which is lower than most grain free foods.

Forgot to add I have a 13 year old and a 10 year old on it right now.

In my research years ago with a senior with KF high protein is not detrimental to the kidneys. It is the "quality" of the protein (dog food) that is important. Low protein will not benefit a dog with KF - and muscle mass can be lost.

There is info here.

https://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter/proteins-kidneys-senior-dogs/

Thanks for your responses. I really appreciate them!

Wanted to address your question on 20% fat for a senior less active dog - I agree it would be too much and if he gains weight from it, it will be detrimental to arthritis.

I like at least 28% protein for a senior (or any age Lab) to maintain muscle mass and there are a number of foods on the market at that percentage and higher that have less than 20% fat.

I am feeding a 28/17 food. My senior girl, almost 12, does well on it and is not over weight. She is not real active either. I also have an 8 year old and 2 year old on it and they are a good weight as well.

I feed this to my seniors: http://www.holisticselect.com/senior-dry-dog-food-chicken-meal-and-rice#guaranteed-analysis

Because it is 10% fat. I also add some additional protein. Usually enough to bring it to about 28%. They formulated this product a number of years ago. I have never fed a senior food until they came up with this. They used to be all crap. They finally got the right idea on protein and old dogs.

The fat is the problem with my guys. I need to keep the protein up, but with 16% fat plus, they gain too much weight over 9 years of age.

Sue

My 13 year old senior has been doing great on Pinnacle Salmon and Potato 27/14. He is active for his age but has slowed down. He still maintains solid muscle mass and I have not had issues with weight.