Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Multiple Males

Need help from my fellow breeder friends...My hubby is about to lose the plot....I acquired my first Labrador in 198o's and have always had females. That is until about 4 years ago when I decided to keep a male. I now have five.
How does everyone keep harmony within the males especially when females are in season. I have one male that even thinks pregnant girls are sexy too and wants hump them. If I can't work out a solution Hubby is talking about maybe we should go back to just having females.

Re: Multiple Males

have 4 entire males, firstly I think the humping is a training issue, as in bad manners, My boys just are not allowed to behave like that. I do realise that of course if you wish to use them at stud then being hard on them for humping could be problematic. All my dogs are out together during the day with me both males and females, the boys just are not interested in the girls until they are almost ready to mate, I did have one problem boy who was very protective of "his" girls when they were on heat so he was neutered which solved the problem very quickly. I am not sure what I am saying is helping you in anyway. My one younger boy who also thought pregnant girls were all the rage and would annoy them constantly, was just quietly removed from the group and he soon learnt if he persisted in that behaviour he lost his right to be with me and the rest of the dogs, didn't take him long to work it out.

I'm looking for more responses to OPs question. Surely not everyone has all their males with them in the house all day. How do you manage several males? I currently just have one, but would love to keep another one or two from future breedings.

I have two males and just lost one. I have had as many as four unaltered males at the same time. I've always run all my dogs together. They spend long hours in the house together wherever I am (their choice) or outside in their fenced yard. Obviously. I have to separate males from females in season, but the boys have always run together with no arguments. My main problem is actually the girls insisting on humping each other when someone's in season, a concern in hot weather. Right now there are two girls on the couch, a girl and two boys on hthe dog beds, and a girl on the rug at my feet.

I've had multiple intact males in my home with bitches coming into season. I've never had a grumble between the two of them. It's just not allowed.

One male would lay on one side of the crate (with the female in season inside) and the other would lay on the opposite side. I've never had a fight nor like I said, a grumble between them.

I have always had multiple intact males with bitches in heat. I think it is all the way you handle/run your dogs/pack. If you are the alpha, there should not be a problem. Make the rules and stick to them.

We once went to a show with 7 intact adult males who did not live together and two bitches in standing heat. No growling, no howling and unfortunately - no eating with a few of them.