Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Obedience- recall

I really enjoy obedience training puppies and putting them through the CGC at 6 months old or so. Sometimes we train for other families. Occasionally I run into an issue with the recall after several weeks of training. Pups are obedient and obey 'here' consistently in the house and outside for several weeks but then suddenly start running away from us for just a short distance while outside. They are safe as we are a long distance from the road. I always eventually get them, but it is so frustrating. They are fine with off leash heeling, sits, downs, front, etc., it's when they are free that they don't want to come 'here'. Today I think it's the nice weather, but any advice would be great.

I use lots of positive rewards, treats, pets, praise with training.

TIA

Re: Obedience- recall

Hi! You need to keep your pup on a long line so you do not have to chase him/her. Step on the line grab the line and "pop pop" toward you while backing up say good good boy/girl as soon as your pup looks at you and reward.

Re: Obedience- recall

Susan Garrett has two wonderful online courses you might want to consider. Puppy Peaks and Brilliant Recalls. www.clickerdogs.com