Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Copper Toxicosis: Prevention & Treatment

This morning my vet (also a breeder) and I discussed a plan to write up our experiences treating my girl so that we could help other breeders with the emerging problem of copper poisoning. We have learned a great deal and hope to spar other breeders our steep and painful learning curve. I suggested we might also try the seminar route. She is game for anything involving breeder education.
So we will both try to find time to do this education.

A increase in copper toxicosis is occurring in various breeds and at various ages of dogs. Various sensitivities or genetic defects may exist in addition to the ones in breeds already identified (e.g., Beddlington Terriers).
At this point we cannot predict which dogs will develop copper toxicosis by looking at them or their pedigrees. Various etiologies may exist.

Early diagnosis is nearly impossible because dogs do not develop symptoms until very late in the disease. Elevated liver enzymes usually occur when significant liver damage has already occurred. Only a liver biopsy can correctly diagnose copper toxicosis and how severe it is--though ultrasound may give some initial clues of liver scarring.

The only available prevention is decreasing dietary copper!

A variety of treatment approaches are being used by different vets. Usually treatment involves chelating (neutralizing) copper in the liver with d-penicillamine. Tolerating d-penicillamine is a significant factor in treatment, and it is not well tolerated in a large number of the dogs. Antioxidants are usually part of the treatment regime. A variety of other medications, including steroids, may be used; not only may some of these approaches be unnecessary, some may be harmful. A standard protocol across various vets is not yet established.

Education is essential. Do not wait until your dog develops copper poisoning symptoms to enact preventive measures. If your dog does have any symptoms resembling copper poisoning (particularly vomiting or refusal to eat), do not hesitate to get a biopsy and seek treatment. Treatment is possible. But explore and get second opinions before settling on the treatment approach.