Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mom not bonding to pups after c-section

I haven't had a litter in 2 years and have rarely had a C-section. We had a C-section earlier today. The mom lets pups nurse, but ignores them. I'm doing the potty work about every 2 hours. She wants to get out of the pen, loves to wander around the yard and doesn't want to go back in to the pups. Is this typical the day of a section? Will it get better? Is there anything I can do? I think last time I took a placenta or two home and put them at the mom's back end which seemed to make her think she just whelped and helped. I didn't ask for placenta's this time.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Mom not bonding to pups after c-section

I hope by now she's taking more interest. Sometimes it takes a few hours for the meds to wear off completely and her Mom-drive to kick in.
When you're stimulating them for potty, let her sniff them and ahe may get the idea that way. The act of nursing will feel good to her so with time and as she learns their scent, I hope she takes more of the responsibility from you. Hang in there. Some may take a little longer.

Best of luck -- prayers for Mom & pups & you, too.

My girl (first time mom) had a c-section 3.5 weeks ago. The first day she was pretty groggy and out of it. She let them nurse, but we had to put them on her, and she had no interest in them otherwise. The next day she began to be a little more interested (and even a bit scared of them, LOL), but still wouldn’t clean them or really interact with them other than allowing the nursing. It took until the evening of the 3rd day (they were born early in the morning) for her instincts to fully kick in and since then she has been an excellent mother.

I smear a little peanut butter on their butts, and hold them up to the mother. Most of time, they will lick the peanut butte, and this will get things going.

Mike