Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Stage 3 Renal Diet

My 10 year old active Lab has been diagnosed w/ kidney insufficiency/kidney disease. BUN and creatinine are elevated, phosphorous is normal. Yesterday's ultrasound on his kidneys was clear. The DVM told me to put him on an Rx Renal Diet. My choices appear to be Purina, Iams, Royal Canin and Hill's. The ingredient lists on these foods looks so poor compared to the grain free salmon and sweet potato that he is currently eating. I am so disappointed. I am concerned that he will lose muscle mass. Additionally, research on the internet appears to be contradictory with regard to low protein diets and renal disease, but the vet and other research suggests that the low protein diet will slow the disease and get him more years. Any advice or suggestions for me? Thanks so much!

Re: Stage 3 Renal Diet

I am sorry you are dealing with KF. I went thru it years ago with a 14.5 yr. old. I refused to use the Hills KF my vet wanted me to use (ethoxyquin as a preservative - did not want to put poison in the system of a dog with KF)

I did a ton of research and found that it is not the amount of protein but the "quality" that you feed.

My girl was on Royal Canine Maxi Mature 26 (protein) because the phos. level was low enough. I also fed extra protein (cooked chop meat, eggs) and gave a phos binder because protein has a lot of phos. Her phos. levels were never elevated.

This was back in 2003 so you may find better foods with enough protein and low enough phos no adays. I feed at least 26% protein (especially to help maintain muscle mass in seniors that are less active)

Only BUN and creatinine were elevated in my girl, like your dog. Specific gravity in urine is also something you have to keep an eye on.

Here is my blog with more info on what I did and links about protein and KF (some of which you may already have seen)

I hope this info helps you. Feel free to email me (please put "KF dog" in the subject line). if you need more help. I am not on this board often.

http://www.heartypet.com/blog/?p=86

Re: Stage 3 Renal Diet

Hi Maria, If you go to wwww.balanceit.com, the veterinary nutritionist will design recipes for a homemade diet suitable for renal disease. The food will be of excellent quality because you will be making it yourself. The recipes are fairly easy, and BalanceIt sells a supplement that will make the whole meal nutritionally perfect for a dog with renal disease.

Having dealt with a dog with renal failure, I can tell you that the jury is not back about the impact of nutrition. So I would also consult a veterinary internist to learn the latest thought about approaches to renal failure. You might simply be able to send the lab results to the internist and get an opinion.