Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Puppy Strangles

I have my first experience with puppy strangles in 25 years. 7 puppies total. 2 puppies affected - 1 at 4 weeks and 1 at 8 weeks. Both are being treated with pred, antibiotics, ointment for eyes and ears. Looks like we got it early enough and there will not be any scarring. Does anyone have any information/experience about strangles? Is it hereditary? Would you as the breeder keep the puppy that had strangles and recovered fully? What about keeping any puppy in the litter? Any and all comments are greatly appreciated.

Re: Puppy Strangles

I had one of my puppies get strangles at 8 weeks. It was the first time, that I have ever had a puppy with it. I took her to our vet, and she was treated with antibiotics, and a steroid. In about 3-4 weeks she was fine, and never even knew she had it. My vet told me that there is not a known cause for strangles? We caught it pretty early on, and all turned out well. I don't believe it is hereditary, but I would check further into it.

Bill

We have had strangles in every litter for three generations and six litters in total after we bred to one dog. On subsequent breedings of the same bitch to different dogs we have had no strangles. None of our other bitches have had strangles puppies....only this particular dog line!

I tend to believe there is a familial component given my limited experience and that we have a number of bitches we've bred that are unrelated to our strangles line.

Right now we have a litter of 10. Seven puppies have strangles, which is the most we've had. Considering our belief, we are not going to keep any of these puppies and we're placing the mother in a retirement home.

I'm not an expert...this is just my experience. I guess it can be considered food for thought. After six litters with strangles and being so frustrated we're quitting on this pedigree! Yup....the lights finally went on in my noggin.

Robin

MHO yes it has to be hereditary. It's an auto immune problem also called juvenile cellulitis and canine pyoderma. An immune malfunction. Anything and everything is hereditary because it comes from the genes. I believe having a greater number affected in a litter means those genes are coming from both sides. I have had one case in all the years I have been breeding. Now it's more common. What I feel now is that I would not use that combination again if the problem is there. We all know our Labradors carry all sorts of things (good and bad) and just a matter of time before it rears it's ugly head.

Robin Anderson
We have had strangles in every litter for three generations and six litters in total after we bred to one dog. On subsequent breedings of the same bitch to different dogs we have had no strangles. None of our other bitches have had strangles puppies....only this particular dog line!

I tend to believe there is a familial component given my limited experience and that we have a number of bitches we've bred that are unrelated to our strangles line.

Right now we have a litter of 10. Seven puppies have strangles, which is the most we've had. Considering our belief, we are not going to keep any of these puppies and we're placing the mother in a retirement home.

I'm not an expert...this is just my experience. I guess it can be considered food for thought. After six litters with strangles and being so frustrated we're quitting on this pedigree! Yup....the lights finally went on in my noggin.

Robin

You make a lot of sense. I'm worried about my current due litter. Is there anything that can be done to boost the immune system of the babies that you're aware of? I have my vet calling her alma mater (a large teaching hospital) to see if there is anything we should or shouldn't do to decrease the chances of this occurring, something to enhance the immune system of the puppies. Is there anything you or anyone else might be aware of?

I am hearing of many same stud dogs where there are multiple litters with juvenile pyoderma- puppy strangles. It is Genetic in many instances. Watch ur bitch line and the stud dog line. Do not be afraid to ask the stud dog owner if there are other cases of it before you breed.

Mine began neurological for weeks then turned into Puppy Strangles at 3 months with my 2 keeping boys. Now to see if they are sterile from the steroids for months.