Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Teaching back up for Rally

I'm trying to teach a pup 'back up' for Rally. He has such a solid sit that he wants to sit no matter what I do. I put the leash under his belly but then he just slides his back feet as we back. I've several dogs to 'back up' but never had one so difficult.

Re: Teaching back up for Rally

Try teaching it in front first and then move to heel position.

Put him in heel position in standing position next to a wall, with him between you and the wall. Treat in your right hand, held just in front of his nose. Not too high or he will sit. I hold the treat in my right hand, and have my left hand wide open above his head but so he can see it, while I move back. Command is back, back, back....good dog! Strive for three steps until he understands. Then practice with five or more until he's straight.....the target for him will be the wide open left hand above his head. Then he will know not to sit. Theoretically, of course, but it has worked on my three boys.....good luck.

I taught from the front first, then slowly moved the dog to the heel position. I use my right hand as the stop and back up cue, and then my left hand for the get it in cue. Doing it against the wall is a great way to get the dog to learn to back up straight, but it's important to not use a wall all the time. I've had times in the ring where we had to do the Backup 3 steps in the middle of the ring.