Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
ACL

TPLO surgery verses TTA surgery. Dog is 10 years old, medium level of activety. Any suggestions on which surgery? Thanks so much.

Re: ACL

Have you considered a swivel lock repair? Less invasive, no cutting of bone in the joint, fast recovery.
My girl had both knees done last fall a d winter. She was walking almost without limping only a few days after the surgery and is back on the trainer's truck and running harder than before the surgery. Two locking devices are placed in the bones ( femur and tibia) att a similar location to where the ligament attaches and very strong Kevlar-like material stretched between them. I had the surgery done by Dr. Nick Schuet in Peewaukee, Wisconsin. I can tell you more if interested.¿

Thank you Peggy.
I will suggest this procedure to the family who own the dog.
Eighteen years ago my male Lab ruptured his ACL. Back then there weren't very many canine orthopods who did ACL repair. We lived in N.Y. at the time and took the dog to a Vet. who was a recent graduate from Cornell. He did a procedure which was very similar to the one you mention. He used fishing line, he felt it was strong enough to do the job. And, it did. My dog was two years old at the time and never had a problem, he lived to be 13 years old.
I think the procedure you mention is a lot less invasive, and I would definitely go that route.
Thanks again

I had a girl that had cruciate surgery on both knees in 1982 and 1983. That surgeon removed a piece of ligament from her Leg and used it to stabilize her joint, probably similar to what your dog had done except that synthetic materials were not available back then. She went on to finish her championship, get a CDX when they had to jump 1.5 X their height (she had to jump 32 inches) and get her JH. She lived to be over 14. So yes, cruciate tears are not necessarily career ending. Also, I have 6 generations down from her and not another cruciate problem. My girl who just had surgery is not related. Good luck!

I would never do TPLO