Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Trouble getting tie

Years ago when I bred naturally, a boy did this when he became sterile. He could no longer tie. Brought them into vet to AI - they collected and nothing at all in the collection.

Because I am into obedience, I have a lot of friends with other breeds. Only the lab breeders have this obsession with AIs. People with other breeds often think the AI thing is ridiculous. Keep an open mind.

obedience friends
Because I am into obedience, I have a lot of friends with other breeds. Only the lab breeders have this obsession with AIs. People with other breeds often think the AI thing is ridiculous. Keep an open mind.

I learned many years ago how to do AI's from a Sheltie breeder. They do mostly AIs too. I think you need to keep an open mind about just how many other breeders/breeds do nothing but AI's. Saves a lot of frustration in the end.

The bitch has a one litter naturally, I usually do progesterones but didn't this time around,my bad. I never collected this boy before and he seems to back off if I go too close when he mounts her. I may try to do an AI first though, but not sure he will allow. He sired a litter about a month prior so I'm pretty sure he is ok. He was getting Rimadyl at the time for an ortho injury (not severe just a strain) so not sure if that had something to do with it. He was very eager and didn't give up, just never got a tie.

I would say timing. If the time is not right, it just does not happen. Other wise you could hardly stop them, they both will get it.