Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Price for a stud fee?

I charge $900.00 stud fee for my boys. This is the same for all of them. Whether they are the new kid on the block just having their first litters or the boy that has proven offspring winning in the ring. Like another mentioned, if I know someone or have worked with them before I offer the service fee. If I don't know them, I like to get the full fee upfront.

Another Breeder .....
Breeder
Charging $400-$500 stud fees is a little up there. I do not like that, but I did it once because I wanted to breed to that particular dog. It was a top producer.

Do I understand you correctly......you will only pay $400-500 for stud service?

No, I said I won't regularly pay that, BUT I did once for this particular boy I really love and it paid off. I got an awesome litter.

I might agree to the service fee if no litter is produced. The way I would agree is if the total fee was paid upfront and a portion returned if no litter was produced.

Seems fair to me.

So I am reading all of this and it is sad to see such overal mistrust in the Labrador Community. When I stood a dog at Stud, I never had a problem with follow through on the Bitch owners' part. Of course he was never up for "Public Stud". I approved the bitch and the owners prior to agreeing to the breeding. If I did not "feel" this breeding was in the best interest of my boy or the breed I declined the request. If I didn't feel right about the Bitch owner I declined their request. I charged a small service fee up front for my time and care while the Bitch was at my home or if I traveled to the bitch for an AI(which I almost prefered). But when I did ship semen on the few occasions I did not charge a stud fee till puppies were produced. Heck it didn't take much effort to collect, extend, and prep the package for shipment. As far as I was concerned a Stud Fee was qualified only once puppies were produced. I guaranteed 3 live pups. 1 for you, 1 to cover your expense, and lastly 1 to cover the stud fee.
Maybe because I was a bitch owner first and my dogs are my pets first I wasn't caught up on the $$$. Sometimes the Stud fees came in fast an other time when a bitch owner had a Financial hardship it trickled in through a payment plan. In the end the money I spent on my boy for his clearances shows etc. were my choice and if I never made it back it was already money well spent. It was an honor when a breeder chose my boy to sire their litter.

I charge a $200 fee up front which does not include shipping or boxes but does include 2 collections by a repro vet (not me) experienced in collections. It also includes semen analysis prior to shipment and a 2nd analysis of some of the extended semen the next day to compare to the semen that arrived at the shipping destination. Once 2 live puppies are born, an additional $800 is due.

I will not allow my boys to be bred to bitches that do not meet my minimum requirements or who have owners I am unsure of. This may not always work but it has so far.

As far as what a dog produces is concerned, as a bitch owner, yes, I would pay more for a dog that has truly produced well with a number of different pedigrees, but the offspring are the result of both parents, whether they are all pet quality or fabulous. The stud dog deserves neither all of the blame NOR all of the credit for the offspring. It is up to the bitch owner to know how to put together a breeding and for a stud dog owner to honestly answer any questions they may have.

Stud Lee
I might agree to the service fee if no litter is produced. The way I would agree is if the total fee was paid upfront and a portion returned if no litter was produced.

Seems fair to me.

So, you either win or you either win. All losses are on the bitch owner???

Not a well know stud but have one. And $1,000 for 45 mins. is an insane statement. That just shows how very little some think of this wonderful breed. Just a dog. Not all the work from birth ! They will buy one and have it standing in their back yard for use. Never pay a real stud fee. It does not cost them much for 15 mins. of use. Bet they are nice too. NOT ! $$$$$

Breeder w/stud
Not a well know stud but have one. And $1,000 for 45 mins. is an insane statement. That just shows how very little some think of this wonderful breed. Just a dog. Not all the work from birth ! They will buy one and have it standing in their back yard for use. Never pay a real stud fee. It does not cost them much for 15 mins. of use. Bet they are nice too. NOT ! $$$$$
Can you pls elaborate. I don't understand your point at all. It doesn't make any sense.