Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Failed CERF

Consider a second opinion too. I had a friend bring her dog into a CERF clinic last fall and was diagnosed with geographic retinal dysplasia. She brought the dog into a different eye doctor not during a clinic for a second opinion about 6 months later. The second vet knew he was there to confirm a diagnosis, had the previous CERF paper, could NOT find anything wrong with this dog. Both vets actually have a good reputation, so I am surprised and confused. But don't rule anything out until you get a second opinion.

Cataract
I had a 2 year old neutered male which was brought back to me. I CERFed yesterday b/c I want to sell him as a trained hunter/dog. His CERF showed a tiny (less than 1 mm) Posterior subcapslar Incipient cataract on one eye. Any of you experience this and know the prognosis/future of this boy?

What did your ACVO vet say about his diagnosis, and could he function well as a gun dog? The examining eye Dr should be able to answer any questions you have.

The examining doctor was difficult to communicate with . She was in a hurry for one thing. She just said, "retest him in 6 months." I have had him longer than I wanted to already, can't keep him for another 6 months but she just keep repeating, "just retest him in 6 months."

I pay good money for eye exams, and I expect good service in exchange. My ACVO vet will go look stuff up for me if I have any questions, while I wait. He takes his time with my dogs, and is very thorough. I think it is awful that yours kept telling you to retest in 6 months, with no other explanation. I am not sure I would use her again.