Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Public Perception

Always worth the effort to educate. I am a semi-well known breeder. I show and breed some nice dogs and have been very active in labs the last 20 years. I believe all who know me would consider me to be a responsible breeder. But you know how I started out? Buying my first bitch, who was very sweet, but not show or breeding quality and then calling a breeder with those very same questions (except the money part, I would never be that forward) wanting to use their stud dog and that is where my education began. She started me down the right path talking to me about clearances, etc. Responsible breeders have to educate the newbies. Most of them just don't know any better, but are more than willing to do things the right way if someone informs them. If we do not educate them, who will? Wouldn't you prefer to educate them rather than have a BYB or puppy mill person educate them? Everyone has to start somewhere. It is our responsibility as guardians of the breed to start them on the right path as someone did for me all those years ago.

Re: Public Perception

The very best response I've found to a BYB is or someone wanting their kids to see the miracle is that we test for PRA/PRCD, Cerf and EIC, CNM,DM and do OFAs after two at a minimum.

"The bad genes are in the Labradors and have to be bred out and tested. Each parent provides one copy from each parent to the puppy"

How would they feel having puppies out there that are flopping around and blind and maybe crippled? Better yet send them some Video links of blind labs or affected ones.

We never hear back.