Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: unusual question about genetic color

Perhaps it would help if you could explain what you mean by tabula rasa, in this context. Since the dog in question is known to be bbee, he/she is not a blank slate - there are known genetic influences and each parent will contribute one half of the genetic make-up of any get. So - light/dark eyes, etc will and can be influenced by either parent.

What do you mean by tabula rasa?

patricia
Don't think my question has been clear. First point: if a dog bbee works as tabula rasa he could not determine whether the offspring would have dark/light brown eyes and dark/light coat, right? My bbee bitch comes from a line with dark eyes but do not think it will be the determinant of the eye color of the puppies. Therefore the color quality would be determined by the dominant dog. If the dominant dog is genetically from lines with clear eyes descendants have clear eyes, etc. The bbee girl have no role in determining the shade of eyes/coat.

Re: unusual question about genetic color

Here is my doubt. My bbee bitch comes from a line of chocolate dogs with beautiful dark eyes. My fear is that by using a clear-eyed bbEE male that genetic trait will stand out because he is dominant. I used "tabula rasa" as a metaphor of empiricism - only know the result through trial and error - and because I think in relation to genetic color, she would be like a blank slate.