school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: I was a school refuser, now I am 32

Dorothy,
It took me many years to find a job I could stick out. It helped that it was bar work (not the greatest of jobs but better than nothing and did wonders for confidence) I think that the hours suited me, it was in a nightclub at weeks and a pub during the week. The late night's were just right for me and my insomnia. It was also such a busy physical job, I had no time to stop and think or worry. Plus conversation with customers was at a minimum due to noise, so I felt very comfortable.
One job I had after this involved sitting all day in a very quiet market with only my head for company. I went downhill rapidly in that job, I really think something active and busy so there is no time to panic works.
Also in my first job I had a friend working there already and had been a customer in the venue for a few years. It was a home from home. That familiarity eased me into it too.

I wish you and your son all the best for Monday but in the meantime have a lovely weekend.

Wow so good to hear of a success story. I'm crying too as I read all the replies and your post of doing so well and having a lovely family now. It gives me hope for the future for my wonderful daughter and also reassured me that it is not my fault, or indeed hers, and that yes I was right to let her stay at home. I wish there was more education about this subject as I have felt so alone during the process and that everyone has blamed me for not being able to make her go to school. It has given me the strength I needed to carry on and support her, thank you so much xxx

Hi Clare
Thank you for sharing your experience. My son is the same age you were when it all first raised its head. There had been signs before but he kept it well masked. I find your views very useful and as we continue to seek answers and treatment I will continue to keep in touch here. I am likely to turn into your mother shortly when i get the chance to see school next and I agree that those who go through or are part of these experiences are the experts.
So glad to have found you all Dawn

Hi Dawn

The psycologist was wonderful and made me realise that this isn't the end of the world and that it wasn't anything i had done as a parent. He did say that for every 100 school refusers only about 5 were genuine and school phobics. One thing that stook in my mind was he once said that if this is the worst thing that ever happens in my sons life then he is very lucky !!His advise was slow integration and support from family and friends, and forcing him into school was a no no !! He gave me the courage to fight for my son for what is best for him.

Claire - absolutley i love my son with all my heart and i will not settle until i have done everything i can to support him and he is once again a confident young man who can face the world again.

Sarah xx