school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 5 years+

Hi Virginia
Thanks for your lovely message, it gives me so much hope. I'm really pleased your daughter is feeling better, you must be very proud of her. I hope that you are right and that time will help. I have tried to write a longer message but it keeps telling me there's spam, no idea why!

Thanks & take care

Zoe

Hello Virginia

As I have written previously, I have a 15 year old girl who hasn't been to school for 18 months. Many of the things that you have outlined, fit exactly with her. She's intelligent, bright and creative, but also a perfectionist. She seems to have lost any fight to even try anything now, even though she used to be so determined and competitive.

It is great though that there seems to be light at the end of the tunnel (so looking forward to seeing it!)

However, I also wondered, did you try your daughter on any medication? I only ask, because several people have suggested it to me for my girl, but I am reluctant, especially if time will heal.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Sharry

Hi Zoe and all

I did send a reply but for some reason it flew into cyberspace.
Perfectionism does seem to be a common thread. My son would rather not start or complete work than do work that didn't meet his standards. Very frustrating for us to watch, isn't it.
I hope that you can move forward in all this, Zoe, and find that a small step forward might lead to new strength for your daughter.
It is hard as we also have our own expectations that generally tend not to meet the pace that our kids are moving in.
If we can shift our thoughts sideways, there might be something that acts as a bridge. Not all learning needs to come directly from school.

Would you consider on-line learning? There is an educational on-line link in the resource section and in my post that never reached its destination I gave the URLs. If you search on the net you will find the Uk site.

Hang in there and don't feel you are on your own. We are here for you any time.
Take care,
Linda