school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Problem never ends

Hi

I am so sorry to hear what you are going through. It brought back all the emotions of my own roller coaster ride.
I did type a whole very lengthy post to you but it zapped itself out into cyberspace and disappeared! So trying again, somewhat shorter.
I kept thinking that depending on where you are in the Uk, but they do have on line as well, the group Simon has mentioned in the previous post seem like they might be ideal for your daughter.
http://www.redballoonlearner.org/welcome

If not that, then your school should be providing so much more support. For students unable to attend for health reasons ( and this is a mental health issue) they should be providing work and even tutors. They are resonsible for providing an education for those who cannot attend. Don't let them play the blame game. Don't doubt your own parenting ability. You are parenting in very difficult circumstances and doing all you can for your daughter, just coming on the forum here shows that.
Stand firm and demand to know what they will do for your daughter.
I also presume you are in contact with dyslexia groups in the UK? There are a few different groups that offer similar and different support. They might be able to give some advice on how best to get specific help for your daughter.

See if you can build your daughter's self esteem by doing things outside of school. Make sure she knows you do understand and are doing all you can to make things better for her. Does she see her friends? Keeping contact with them is important if she isn't able to engage with school.
Is she having counselling? Are you able to have counselling, to offload your stress levels?
School is just not the place for some kids. And an education does not have to come directly from a school, nor be in a straight line.

See what you can find out from the Redbubble organisation and if that is an option.
Meanwhile, remember, you are not alone, and can come on here any time and share how you feel.
Its been tough for you, so do something just for you today, you deserve it.
Let us know how you go,
take care
Linda

Re: Problem never ends

Hi

Just wondering how things are going for you at the moment and whether you have managed to find some help along the way? Hang in there, help will be round the corner some where and that education does not have to be in a straight line.
Take care and have a lovely chrisfmas and some relaxing time with your daughter.
Linda