school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Back to square one!!!

Do you think you might get him there at all this week? My son sometimes would have to wait till the next Monday rolled around as he reasoned that by then the other kids might have forgotten he'd been away (with weekend in the middle). He hated them asking him why he'd been absent.
Is CAMHS being helpful?
You are a good parent and doing all you can and you are not alone. As Simon mentioned, you can come in here any time and offload...everyone understands. It is a roller coaster ride but there is support out there, although not always easy to access. The school will have to start providing work or tutor if your son continues to be absent (see my recent posts on this for others).
Hang in there....hope small steps start to happen and you can at least try and enjoy some things outside of mentioning school. When I look back, I wish I had not been quite so focused on school...it added to the tension. But you start to feel pressure from all sides. Not sure I could have done it differently but I know if the school had have supported me and my son more, we would have both felt more positive about breaking through the barriers. Thre is light at the end of the tunnel. Simon's daugher got through...my son starts his final year this year....others on here have had turn arounds at the end with the anxiety being managed very well. So all our kids have a common fear but they all deal with the barriers and management differently. Medication also might become an option for you if it continues?
Ok...best of luck...maybe Monday nexf week might happen. Fingers crossed for you.
Linda