school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: I'm new to school refusal,help!!

Hi again Kelly

I just re read all your posts again and I don't see any mention of CAMHS? Has your son been assessed? Has the school made a referral for you? If they haven't then they don't have a leg to stand on in taking you to court. Or are you on a waiting list?
They school has to take certain steps and in your case it sounds to me like they have jumped ahead rather too fast.
If you can make enquiries or demand they set up an appointment? Or if writing that letter, put it in the letter about cahms.

Your son will do anything not to go to school, and sadly for you at the moment, this does mean aggression. This is typical, so don't feel alone on that one. I think seeing your son is or has been a quiet boy, this is the only way he knows how to let his pain out. And it is pain.
Once we get caught up in the anger it causes us, then it just goes round in circles. Your son needs lots of understanding, hugs, if he will let you, and then he might br calmer and also realise you are trying to help. Any mention of school will probsbly set him off again, so focus on helping him feel better. And a different doctor does sound in order.
As the psychiatrist explained it to my son, it is the fight or flight mode in over drive and my son was also using both. Once you both can accept it as a mental health issue...things do get calmer. No kid wants to be like this, and so they feel very isoloated and misunderstood. Your son does need help and the school has not provided it.

Sorry I have rambled on again but hope perhaps a cahms appointment might keep any court threat at bay.
Let us know.
Linda

Re: I'm new to school refusal,help!!

Good morning Linda,
Thank you so,so much for taking the time to read and reply to my posts.
No the head wasn't there,just his head of year,attendance officer at his school & the lady from the local authorities.The action plan is that for the next 2-3 weeks he goes in for periods 1,2 & 3 then home.They told him rooms he can go in at break time if he feels like his needs some quiet time.They will then review in 6 weeks to see if he's improved.Not sure I've spelt this right but they have Orminston families on board who have a link to the school and the lady there referred us to the children's mental health center and the GP as I said before didn't actually tell me where we were being referred too,and with my head in the clouds I forgot to stupidly ask.So yes we waiting at the moment to hear.
I've heard these things can take a while and I haven't time on my side at the moment.I didn't know about signing a child off..it was parent partnership that told me that.But the GP never did and according to that lady in the meeting,Cahms would be very reluctant to sign a child off anyway..and apparently he can't be unfit for school as he managed 2 good weeks before the broke up for the holidays!!
She also went on to say about a possible Education order being put on my son although at the moment she wants to see if this has improved by the next meeting.
She also mentioned about social care and health? I didn't really understand this,but does she mean social services? What was she saying? I didn't want to go into that too much in front of my son so I didn't ask.
I wish I was braver and stronger with things like this..I feel sometimes I don't get my point across very well and that isn't going to help things.Sorry to ramble so much.