Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: EIC Affected

the dog is collapsing from something other, if the dog is truly EIC clear.

My EIC affected is 9yrs old. Has been working in the field for 4-5 years now. No episodes nor symptoms to lead me to think an EIC collapse would occur. This heat and humidity this year has been the worst ever and still no symptoms/collapse. Oh, and my dog does chase squirrel and rabbit, but this dog is not a beagle in the sense of running rabbit. Those beagles will run for miles and no sensible labrador of mine will run like that. For my dog, retirement from competition is only a short time away.

I can only hope as we learn about the more and more EIC Affected Dogs(whether they collapse or not) that are out there we are using this information to better the breed. As we all do I have surfed websites and still see breeders breeding EIC Carrier to Carrier or EIC Affected to Carrier. The idea is to take your knowledge and put it to work.

I know for me and my affected girl it is a matter of knowing I can only Breed her to EIC "Clear" which will result in a litter of EIC Carriers. When we run on the next generation we Breed that pup to a "Clear" and then in a matter of 2 Generations can erase the Affected from my program and that line.
I think we owe it to our breed.

Rabbit

They insist these are EIC collapses. Very experienced and highly knowledgable people. Go figure.

on the other hand
At field training I was speaking with the owner of an OTCH MH Golden Retriever who is EIC Clear....and has had collapses when food is involved. These are experienced dog people who swear that these are true collapse episodes.

Well, Goldens are NOT one of the breeds known to have EIC, so I would bet money that the collapses are due to another reason.

Experienced dog people or not, I think they are off base on this one.

on the other hand
Rabbit

They insist these are EIC collapses. Very experienced and highly knowledgable people. Go figure.

Maybe it's easier to blame EIC and fault the test than to admit epilepsy, heart problems (which ARE rampant in Goldens, no?)or whatever. Why would they have tested for EIC anyways? It's not known in Goldens.

on the other hand
Rabbit

in this coming from the "people" or from veterinarians?

not qualified
on the other hand
Rabbit

in this coming from the "people" or from veterinarians?

From the veterinarian. I really questioned it also, but they were insistent.

EIC When to test

I have a 6mo which one parent was clear, the other a carrier. When should I have her tested. I am assuming that she will not be affected, but want to make sure.

What are the signs of EIC?

Re: EIC When to test

If the parents were tested clear and carrier, your dog has a 50/50 chance of being either a clear or carrier. There would be 0% chance of being affected. I believe you can do the test at any time.

Wag the Dog (1)
It's not known in Goldens.

Unless there's been a new finding not yet announced, this info is correct: http://www.vdl.umn.edu/ourservices/canineneuromuscular/eic/home.html

They did add the Boykins just recently and made a special post to RTF announcing it.

Yes, that is correct you can test at any time as early at 2 weeks of age. I believe the information is on the Univ of Minn website.

You can send in dew claws, so that's pretty early