Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: EIC Affected

I can only hope as we learn about the more and more EIC Affected Dogs(whether they collapse or not) that are out there we are using this information to better the breed. As we all do I have surfed websites and still see breeders breeding EIC Carrier to Carrier or EIC Affected to Carrier. The idea is to take your knowledge and put it to work.

I know for me and my affected girl it is a matter of knowing I can only Breed her to EIC "Clear" which will result in a litter of EIC Carriers. When we run on the next generation we Breed that pup to a "Clear" and then in a matter of 2 Generations can erase the Affected from my program and that line.
I think we owe it to our breed.

EIC When to test

I have a 6mo which one parent was clear, the other a carrier. When should I have her tested. I am assuming that she will not be affected, but want to make sure.

What are the signs of EIC?

Re: EIC When to test

If the parents were tested clear and carrier, your dog has a 50/50 chance of being either a clear or carrier. There would be 0% chance of being affected. I believe you can do the test at any time.

Yes, that is correct you can test at any time as early at 2 weeks of age. I believe the information is on the Univ of Minn website.

You can send in dew claws, so that's pretty early