Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: CranCaps

Why would you give a bitch in whelp cranberry anyway ? Why do some start giving them things they don't need or have never had before. A healthy bitch should be fine and a very good dog food goes a long way.

I give my dogs cranberry pills (Trunature from Costco) and after I AI'd my girl, I just pulled her off them. The only supplement she got during pregnancy was salmon oil.

I don't know if the cranberry is good for them or not while pregnaunt, but since you shouldn't "supplement" them, I thought it would be best to err on the side of caution.

While I cannot comment on Cranberry...my vet and I have had a discussion in the regards to use of red raspberry leafs. She explained to me that the RRL causes hormonal changes. While it can help prepare the uterine horns for pregnancy...it can mess with contractions, milk production and more later on. If using RRL, wean your bitch off of them before they hit the 30 day mark. Use of RRL can cause abortions and early labor...but it can also cause the labor contractions to be uneffective, therefore sending your girl in for a c-section. As an FYI...Bitch pills contain RRL.