Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 16 day old puppy problem?

We've had 2 week old puppies come down with nasty congestion colds where they had to be on meds. I made a tent over the whelping box, using a humidifier with vick drops in the dispenser. They got better but it took awhile as I remember. I don't know where they got the cold from. I did take the mom to the vets to get radiographed after the 3rd puppy was born just to see if she had retained any more puppies. Maybe the vet's office..

Whatever it is, the pup is a good age to get well fast and not have any other problems. Follow your Vet's advice and don't be scared to call the Vet and report that it isn't getting better, ask how long before you should expect improvment and when should you worry. At least the puppy is eating well. Good luck and think positive.

I had an almost identical thing happen to a pup, though mine was around 31 day old. He had congested breathing on Sunday and by Monday, he was very snotty, not just a little wet nose. Breathing snot bubbles got me kind of concerned. KC has been rampant here as of late and despite avoiding all dog places, shows, not wearing shoes in the house, making everyone wash their hands and wear clean clothes etc., I was very worried. Vet said his lungs were fine (what I was really worried about) and prescribed Clavamox. Pup acted and ate just fine too. None of the other pups in the litter were affected. He is just fine now.

The day before this all came about, I had a visitor who followed all proper protocol. After she left, I noticed one of the pups smelling quite heavily of fabric softener/dry sheets. I don't use heavily scented stuff, so I really noticed it. I don't recall which pup really smelled of it, but the pup that got sick was the favored on that day and was held quite a bit. I suspect the pup had a reaction to whatever she used on her clothes. Will probably never know, but it makes sense. Dang dryer sheets give me a headache, can only imagine how all that stuff effects a poor pup!

Thanks everyone, the little singleton continues to improve with a little congestion still. He eats well and only clear discharge from nose and normal stool. He will be 3 weeks Thursday. He is a little fighter. The Clavamox and decongestant nose drops are helping alot.