Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Any ideas why my new mom still wants to push?

Long time breeder
There is a veterinary forum that Dr. Hutch had put his Lutalyse formula on under a year prior, the vet that I finally used mentioned. He followed it like a hawk and also tried to reach Hutch.

Any idea where this forum is so I can ask my vet if he will look there? This girl took a turn for the worst and ended up back in the hospital yesterday and they finally did blood work which is showing lots of things going on, white cell count is normal, however she is anemic (pac cell count at 27 which 39 is normal), she's janice so her liver enzymes are bad (forgot what the numbers are)she's developed mastitis one one of her inverted teats, they put her on a secondary antibiotic and as of this morning has her temp down to 102 and she is still on IV's, not interested in eating but if you ask me it's because she's not home with her babies which she adores, they don't know if it's looking like her liver is failing and that is causing the problems or if the infection is causing the liver to look that way, he said they are scratching their heads over this one cause while some things should be off they aren't and other things are off so they don't know what is causing all this. The one and only board certified radiologist is scheduled to do a ultrasound on her tomorrow as that is the soonest they could get him in :{, they are trying to keep her stable for now and I guess we just have to wait and see what that ultrasound shows cause they said that will eliminate a lot of the possiblities and may give them the answer they need. Meanwhile I am taking care of her babies till she can come home be it spayed or not I just want her well, please pray for her

Sorry, I've been absent on this thread. I had two very ill family members. One had knee replacement surgery, the other was in ICU as of today.

It is for vets only, I am sure it is well hidden and you need to show credentials to get on it. I have no idea how a non vet would find it or get on it.

YOUR vet, like my FIFTH vet I used should be on it and know these things. I ran into 20 non knowing vets via phone who didn't too, four other local vets I brought Zazou to and got no place fast but an empty checking account. I found a gift in this one vet and will use him for anything mildly problematic for all of my dogs no matter how long the ride is. At least I used him after three breeders told me about him even at an 80 mile each way distance 4 rides back and forth daily for the Lutalyse injections for 6 days. As she's snoring away right now in the master bedroom, she was well worth the back and forth rides to get her better. Again, we were very lucky to find this vet who knew more than any idiot vet in my disgustingly pricey area. Yes, I am still angry at the lack of even decent care given where I live and what they charge for doing nothing.

I hope the Lutalyse helps your girl. Sending best thoughts!

Quote:

Sorry, I've been absent on this thread. I had two very ill family members. One had knee replacement surgery, the other was in ICU as of today.

It is for vets only, I am sure it is well hidden and you need to show credentials to get on it. I have no idea how a non vet would find it or get on it.

YOUR vet, like my FIFTH vet I used should be on it and know these things. I ran into 20 non knowing vets via phone who didn't too, four other local vets I brought Zazou to and got no place fast but an empty checking account. I found a gift in this one vet and will use him for anything mildly problematic for all of my dogs no matter how long the ride is. At least I used him after three breeders told me about him even at an 80 mile each way distance 4 rides back and forth daily for the Lutalyse injections for 6 days. As she's snoring away right now in the master bedroom, she was well worth the back and forth rides to get her better. Again, we were very lucky to find this vet who knew more than any idiot vet in my disgustingly pricey area. Yes, I am still angry at the lack of even decent care given where I live and what they charge for doing nothing.

I hope the Lutalyse helps your girl. Sending best thoughts! [/quote]

She is finally back home, sadly,in her case it did not help (well maybe it did to tell us he had to go in for exploratory surgery in which he said if her uterus was in good shape he would close her back up as that was his goal cause he himself is a breeder)She was passing some very nasty discharge with the shots and chunks of her uterus and not getting better, he ended up spaying her to save her life as if we didn't do something her uterus could have turned necrotic and we ran the risk of losing her which I was not willing to take a chance with that, she is more than a brood bitch to me, she's my baby first and foremost, he made the right call.

I am so sorry to hear of the health problems of your family, prayers go out to them for a total recovery

Dear Long Time Breeder,

I'm so sorry the spay was the only resort but you and the vet made the right call to save her life. I was willing to go that route if the Lutalyse didn't help Zazou and the vet told me that was a possibility. I had moved fast with the right vet, call #21 in 36 hours and in the car five minutes later with a hemorrhaging bitch.

As my ob/gyn of 33 years always said, "An empty uterus does not bleed" when referring to me while having issues years back. Same for dogs.

It stinks but you have your girl alive and hopefully getting healthier each day. Vets need to become more learned about Lutalyse and use it immediately in situations such as both of us had.

I don't plan on breeding Zazou again after three litters but I wanted her to be able to be shown legally with AKC and not have to wait until age 7 to do so as a "senior." I still told him do what ever he felt needed to be done to save her life. I trusted him implicitly.

I am working on how to get ALL local vets learned on Lutalyse and how to use it properly and immediately to avoid the situations we experienced. One tiny piece of left over placenta can cause these problems. Lutalyse helps the uterus push that out the bad, being in the prostaglandin family, quickly if caught early. Too bad some vets don't continue their educations as they practice or they would know to use it and what it is.

I hope and send good thoughts and prayers for your girl to heal well. I'm so sorry you and her went through all of this but I do understand.

Thank you for your kind words at a tough time here. My family member is out of ICU as of yesterday thankfully, still hospitalized and slated to be discharged this coming week. My husband is slowly healing from his knee replacement, walking without a walker or cane now. Thank you for your kind words during a very difficult time in your life.

Best wishes to you and your girl for best of health from here on in. We both learned a lot at the expense of our girls, all we can do now is pass on the information to others.

Best regards,

Michelle/Oy Vey
wwww.fardalelabradors.com/zazou.htm
fardalelabradors@gmail.com

I put an extra w in wwww.fardalelabradors.com/zazou.htm Ooopsy.

Oy Vey - Michelle
Dear Long Time Breeder,

I'm so sorry the spay was the only resort but you and the vet made the right call to save her life. I was willing to go that route if the Lutalyse didn't help Zazou and the vet told me that was a possibility. I had moved fast with the right vet, call #21 in 36 hours and in the car five minutes later with a hemorrhaging bitch.

As my ob/gyn of 33 years always said, "An empty uterus does not bleed" when referring to me while having issues years back. Same for dogs.

It stinks but you have your girl alive and hopefully getting healthier each day. Vets need to become more learned about Lutalyse and use it immediately in situations such as both of us had.

I don't plan on breeding Zazou again after three litters but I wanted her to be able to be shown legally with AKC and not have to wait until age 7 to do so as a "senior." I still told him do what ever he felt needed to be done to save her life. I trusted him implicitly.

I am working on how to get ALL local vets learned on Lutalyse and how to use it properly and immediately to avoid the situations we experienced. One tiny piece of left over placenta can cause these problems. Lutalyse helps the uterus push that out the bad, being in the prostaglandin family, quickly if caught early. Too bad some vets don't continue their educations as they practice or they would know to use it and what it is.

I hope and send good thoughts and prayers for your girl to heal well. I'm so sorry you and her went through all of this but I do understand.

Thank you for your kind words at a tough time here. My family member is out of ICU as of yesterday thankfully, still hospitalized and slated to be discharged this coming week. My husband is slowly healing from his knee replacement, walking without a walker or cane now. Thank you for your kind words during a very difficult time in your life.

Best wishes to you and your girl for best of health from here on in. We both learned a lot at the expense of our girls, all we can do now is pass on the information to others.

Best regards,

Michelle/Oy Vey
wwww.fardalelabradors.com/zazou.htm
fardalelabradors@gmail.com

Glad to hear your family is on the way to recovery, always so hard to have human members sick or in fear of losing them, I was very fortunate that my vet specializes in reproduction so he knew about the lutalye but what prevented him from being able to use it immediately was we had to wait till the radiologist was able to get there to do the ultrasound to make sure she didn't have a tear in her uterus, she is on the road to recovery now, mastitis is improving also but she can't nurse her babies because of it, he didnt' want her producing milk so it will resolve and she's been to hell and back so not taking a chance on her going backward at this point, I do let her lick them and she wants them however we need to wait a few more days for her to totally dry up , Thank YOU for your kindness