Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Any ideas why my new mom still wants to push?

I put an extra w in wwww.fardalelabradors.com/zazou.htm Ooopsy.

Re: Any ideas why my new mom still wants to push?

Oy Vey - Michelle
Dear Long Time Breeder,

I'm so sorry the spay was the only resort but you and the vet made the right call to save her life. I was willing to go that route if the Lutalyse didn't help Zazou and the vet told me that was a possibility. I had moved fast with the right vet, call #21 in 36 hours and in the car five minutes later with a hemorrhaging bitch.

As my ob/gyn of 33 years always said, "An empty uterus does not bleed" when referring to me while having issues years back. Same for dogs.

It stinks but you have your girl alive and hopefully getting healthier each day. Vets need to become more learned about Lutalyse and use it immediately in situations such as both of us had.

I don't plan on breeding Zazou again after three litters but I wanted her to be able to be shown legally with AKC and not have to wait until age 7 to do so as a "senior." I still told him do what ever he felt needed to be done to save her life. I trusted him implicitly.

I am working on how to get ALL local vets learned on Lutalyse and how to use it properly and immediately to avoid the situations we experienced. One tiny piece of left over placenta can cause these problems. Lutalyse helps the uterus push that out the bad, being in the prostaglandin family, quickly if caught early. Too bad some vets don't continue their educations as they practice or they would know to use it and what it is.

I hope and send good thoughts and prayers for your girl to heal well. I'm so sorry you and her went through all of this but I do understand.

Thank you for your kind words at a tough time here. My family member is out of ICU as of yesterday thankfully, still hospitalized and slated to be discharged this coming week. My husband is slowly healing from his knee replacement, walking without a walker or cane now. Thank you for your kind words during a very difficult time in your life.

Best wishes to you and your girl for best of health from here on in. We both learned a lot at the expense of our girls, all we can do now is pass on the information to others.

Best regards,

Michelle/Oy Vey
wwww.fardalelabradors.com/zazou.htm
fardalelabradors@gmail.com

Glad to hear your family is on the way to recovery, always so hard to have human members sick or in fear of losing them, I was very fortunate that my vet specializes in reproduction so he knew about the lutalye but what prevented him from being able to use it immediately was we had to wait till the radiologist was able to get there to do the ultrasound to make sure she didn't have a tear in her uterus, she is on the road to recovery now, mastitis is improving also but she can't nurse her babies because of it, he didnt' want her producing milk so it will resolve and she's been to hell and back so not taking a chance on her going backward at this point, I do let her lick them and she wants them however we need to wait a few more days for her to totally dry up , Thank YOU for your kindness