Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Price

Puppy Buyer
Here is the issue on a cold call. Neither party knows one another. Why waste your time and mine when the price could be out of my range.

here is what I suggest to any breeder. Tell the customer up front your dogs are not cheap and why. It would take a minute to do that.

I am the type that would pay twice what you are asking if I knew it was a quality pup with minimal health issues to be faced with.

Better breeders have waiting lists or are referred by satisfied customers. Most go in knowing their family or friends paid your asking price.

I suspect those thinking it rude would also not like going to the Car dealer and have no starting price to start negotiations. Maybe some of you are like car dealers and wait to see if I am a Doctor or Lawyer with deep pockets and charge accordingly to income.

If you guys go over to the RTF forum in their classified pups are priced very clearly. Many charge way more then Show Breeders.

Back before most clubs, breeders and rescues had websites, there was newspaper advertising, even by clubs, and flyer publicity for adoption events. Our rescue was advised by a lawyer to never, ever post an adoption fee in a newspaper or at an adoption event, as that was making it so that we could not refuse any comer with the money, as we were essentially offering it for sale, as one might a home or a car. I would presume that most of us on this forum do not consider a puppy sale very much like buying a car or a shirt, and we want the right to refuse a potential buyer. We are not pet shops and do not want just anyone with enough money to be able to buy just any puppy, whether or not it is a good fit for the home.

Not a Car, not a thing

Back before most clubs, breeders and rescues had websites, there was newspaper advertising, even by clubs, and flyer publicity for adoption events. Our rescue was advised by a lawyer to never, ever post an adoption fee in a newspaper or at an adoption event, as that was making it so that we could not refuse any comer with the money, as we were essentially offering it for sale, as one might a home or a car. I would presume that most of us on this forum do not consider a puppy sale very much like buying a car or a shirt, and we want the right to refuse a potential buyer. We are not pet shops and do not want just anyone with enough money to be able to buy just any puppy, whether or not it is a good fit for the home.

Amen to that. I recently had a pup buyer on my list ask me to offer $500 to the person ahead of them for the one and only CF in my litter (forgetting apparently that I am at the top of the list for every puppy in the litter). That was a major turnoff to me, to the point that I didn't ask them for a deposit at all. I feel sorry for the husband and 2 kids though, who really seem genuinely excited about a pup, but I have to wonder about her...

Nothing wrong with someone asking how much my puppies cost. They want to be sure that they can afford one and it never offends me when that question is brought up........beginning, middle or end. If it's not the right price for them or if I feel they're not the right family for my puppies, we all move on. No hurt feelings.

I find it entertaining that the only people that cry 'waaaaa-waaaaa" about price is the ones you can't get the top price or have a hard time selling their pups. Stop calling people who are good business people "puppy mills" just because they make a profit. Truth is, it goes right back into showing and their dogs. If I did not make a profit, I would not be able to show my dogs or take proper care of them.

Very well said.....

I have more of a problem with an email that says "do you have any pups and how much are they?"

A phone call that starts off with price question is not as annoying.

I tend to tell the caller what the price range is in this area for a well bred Labrador where both parents of the litter have all health clearances and ask that caller if that is within their price range.

If they say yes than I go on to talk about my dogs and my clearances and ask them questions and answer their questions.

Then I tell them my price.

To the poster that feels this is a business...... no way ..... its a hobby and if for any reason I am turned off by someone, not matter how much money they have, I will not sell them a pup.

These are my babies that I have whelped, raised and loved and lost sleep over, they don't go to just anyone.

It could be as simple as they have a one year old child and ready to deliver another in the next few months and want an 8 week old pup.

I don't think so..... but I do explain why I will not sell them a pup....

I also always take the time to educate. If someone says they were expecting to pay 500-800 for a Lab pup I explain what they will get for that price and the issues they could be dealing with for the life of the dog.

I have clients tell me all the time that they get a dog from me because I politely answer their questions, don't belittle them, and am friendly. I'll just say, the way I hear most breeders talk on the phone to potential clients…no WONDER they can't sell their pups!!! Or have to sell at a discount.