General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Price

Very well said.....

I have more of a problem with an email that says "do you have any pups and how much are they?"

A phone call that starts off with price question is not as annoying.

I tend to tell the caller what the price range is in this area for a well bred Labrador where both parents of the litter have all health clearances and ask that caller if that is within their price range.

If they say yes than I go on to talk about my dogs and my clearances and ask them questions and answer their questions.

Then I tell them my price.

To the poster that feels this is a business...... no way ..... its a hobby and if for any reason I am turned off by someone, not matter how much money they have, I will not sell them a pup.

These are my babies that I have whelped, raised and loved and lost sleep over, they don't go to just anyone.

It could be as simple as they have a one year old child and ready to deliver another in the next few months and want an 8 week old pup.

I don't think so..... but I do explain why I will not sell them a pup....

I also always take the time to educate. If someone says they were expecting to pay 500-800 for a Lab pup I explain what they will get for that price and the issues they could be dealing with for the life of the dog.

I have clients tell me all the time that they get a dog from me because I politely answer their questions, don't belittle them, and am friendly. I'll just say, the way I hear most breeders talk on the phone to potential clients…no WONDER they can't sell their pups!!! Or have to sell at a discount.